• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

I think Smith makes a 396 extra lite Ti in 44 special with a 3 and 4 inch barrel.That would fit your requirements,however its a little pricey and hard to find.The 396 designation may not be accurate for this model as Smith just makes so many LOL.

Why is this even up for debate? The p365 is hands down the best for running. The 365xl is the best for hiking. I ultra run in the mountains, and both options are excellent. I sold a p365 yesterday since I can run almost as well with the p365xl at about a 9min/mile pace. The p365 may not have the sight radius of the xl, but it's still a darn accurate pistol out at distance.

If you are concerned of animals that size I'd go 10mm. I dont think you have to worry about those larger ones in GA. Rare and will probably avoid you. I'd be worried about coyotes if you hike with a smaller dog down to rattlesnakes/copperheads and maybe a rabid coon. 40 cal on down to 38 is fine for that. I'd have a couple snake rounds at the top of my carry mag. A plain glock 26 would be good. The bigger mag would be my preference. When in doubt more rounds on target is good.

Forget bear defense.
The gun needs to be light or it's going to be left at home.
A .32 H&R magnum of the right size and weight
is far preferable to a too-big, too-heavy .44 mag.

i would suggest a chest mounted rig vs waist...seems it would be out of the way a little better

What's a light weight, but not tiny sized, centerfire pistol suitable to carry for defense against wild animals, feral or rabid dogs, wolves or mountain lions?
Gun MUST be light... when hiking 10 miles up and down hills, every ounce counts.
Gun need not be small... it should have a decently long barrel and sight radius.

No snubby revolvers.

No pistols weighing 30 oz. or more.
16 oz would be nice.

What's on the market that fits these criteria?
Lots of things fit that criteria. This is my 'light/summer/hiking" carry. https://www.springfield-armory.com/...-e-handguns/xd-e-33-single-stack-9mm-handgun/
Highest capacity single stack with an external hammer. Comes in 3 lengths and .45 acp if you run up on any souls that need killin'. All options are under 30 ounces.
But if a mountain lion is attacking me, I'm just shooting myself.

Back
Top Bottom