• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

What's a light weight, but not tiny sized, centerfire pistol suitable to carry for defense against wild animals, feral or rabid dogs, wolves or mountain lions?
Gun MUST be light... when hiking 10 miles up and down hills, every ounce counts.
Gun need not be small... it should have a decently long barrel and sight radius.

No snubby revolvers.

No pistols weighing 30 oz. or more.
16 oz would be nice.

What's on the market that fits these criteria?
full auto m16.

Forget bear defense.
The gun needs to be light or it's going to be left at home.
A .32 H&R magnum of the right size and weight
is far preferable to a too-big, too-heavy .44 mag.

Bump it up a notch and look for a .327 Federal. I have a charter Arms and Ruger SA. Ruger also has the SP101 and G100 in this caliber. The Ruger Single 7 fits the hand nicely.

I've carried and owned most of the pistols mentioned previously and have never had to use any while hiking or as a backup hunting. Never the less, the older you get the weight and size of the firearm will begin to be more and more important. The smith 369 (44 mag), and as those hills get steeper the 360 (357 mag) will be the ones you will want when the trail is long and the possible emergency is great. Light weight is your friend.

I still say the 396 mountain Ti in 44 special is a viable choice,especially in a stout load at around 950 fps and one of Keiths excellent cast loads in 240 or 225 grain persuasion.Both would penetraye very deep in a large dangerous animal.And the gun meets all the criteria the OP originally outlined for a Hikers Companion.Hell I want one now that Ive been thinking harder about it....LOL!!!

Just saw it was only produced from 2001-2004 and that only s 200 grain bullet was to be used.That would leave you with the Blazer 200 grain gold dot or an 180 grain hollow point at roughly 900 fps,but still quite formidable in a hiking companion that weighs 18.5 oz with a 3.25"barrel....Hmmmm

Yeah, an 18.5 oz. revolver in .44 special would be fine,
with a barrel over 3". I'd prefer 4" for better pointability,
but 3 & a quarter would work.

But, the gun also needs to be affordable, for a first time gun owner who only wants a practical tool for hiking & camping protection,
but otherwise isn't into guns and won't appreciate the quality of an expensive or rare collectible item, long discontinued.

Yeah, an 18.5 oz. revolver in .44 special would be fine,
with a barrel over 3". I'd prefer 4" for better pointability,
but 3 & a quarter would work.

But, the gun also needs to be affordable, for a first time gun owner who only wants a practical tool for hiking & camping protection,
but otherwise isn't into guns and won't appreciate the quality of an expensive or rare collectible item, long discontinued.
Did not realize it was for a first time gun owner. I think that changes a lot.

Back
Top Bottom