• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Freaking School Bus Camera Ticket!

I got one of these a few years back and finally got it removed after jumping through many hoops. It wasn’t even me. It had a picture of a black explorer (mine was white) and a partial tag number. The officer apparently kept looking for vehicles using the partial number until he found an explorer. I had to make pictures of my tag and vehicle to prove it wasn’t me.

Mo%*]>*{ker!

Yet another money grab!

I got a ticket from one of those automated school bus camera things.

The situation was that I was doing a u turn, the road I was turning onto had 3 lanes, and when I started the turn, the bus had no light on-not even the yellow. Apparently, the lights came on when I was abeam of the bus and 3 full lanes away.

And from the pics, you can see that the freaking stop sign hasn’t even come out by the time I am gone-fully in front of and beyond the bus.

I didn’t pass the bus in any kind of dangerous manner. Heck, I never even saw any of the lights that day.

Has anyone had any success fighting these Bs things?

I mean, what the heck is anyone supposed to do-when you are three lanes over and the red lights come on?

This pisses me off, but I’m not sure if it is worth fighting.
I’ve been to court numerous times, one was only a few years ago. SC State Trooper ticket. I stated my case and the ticket and fault for the wreck was dismissed.
I’ve went to court many times as a professional driver, been on both sides.

Won all but one.

The school bus laws of Georgia require that before the red flashing lights come on (which is your signal to stop and not pass the bus to stop before you even come along side of it)...

... there must be The same number of Amber or yellow lights
which are your warning that the bus is about to discharge or pick up passengers and force everybody around it to stop.

QUOTE: "...four amber flasher lights mounted on the same horizontal centerline as the red lights and nearer the centerline. Such amber lights shall be at least two and one-half times brighter than the red lights. The system shall be wired so that the amber signal lights are activated only by manual or foot operation and if activated are automatically deactivated and the red signal lights activated when the bus entrance door is opened..."

OCGA 40-8-115.

IF THE Bus did not use its amber warning lights and went straight from nothing to "full red stop" THEN I would definitely fight this ticket. And appeal it when you are convicted.

(because the trial court will certainly convict you as it, under these circumstances, would be considered a kangaroo court which would feel obligated to rubberstamp whatever government agents have alleged. Because after all it's "for the children." And local judges do not want to be seen as anti-law-enforcement or anti-school safety. Local judges have to face local voters for reelection every few years.)

An appellate court would be more willing to actually weigh the evidence and consider the law as it was meant to be applied.

Anyone passing a School bus should have their license revoked /suspended for a year and give a 10,000 dollar fine.
Why though? It seem to me it would be more feasible and SAFER to have busses only let kids off on the right side and never cross a road. The laws on the books now are only a means to generate revenue.

Why though? It seem to me it would be more feasible and SAFER to have busses only let kids off on the right side and never cross a road. The laws on the books now are only a means to generate revenue.
Do the logistics' on that... They have a time factor to get all kids to School on time. People are raising hell about school taxes now how about dbbl that for more buses and drivers....... when kids are late kids- don't look as they should for cars hence is why they get hit riding bikes, chasing balls, running etc...

Do the logistics' on that... They have a time factor to get all kids to School on time. People are raising hell about school taxes now how about dbbl that for more buses and drivers....... when kids are late kids- don't look as they should for cars hence is why they get hit riding bikes, chasing balls, running etc...
Government should never have gotten into the school business.
Just another money-wasting scam to coerce more tax money to waste.

Of course I stop for the *%]**{+ bus-

IF I know it is stopping.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I was doing a (legal) u turn and came out abeam the bus.

By the time I passed it, the lights apparently had turned red, but they did so when I was about abeam the bus driver.

By the time I passed the bus and the pic were taken, neither stop sign had come out.

They deployed when I was at least 50 ft beyond the bus altogether
Apparently not... you received a ticket, your clue if you care to accept it: when amber lights come on, bus will stop any second................

Government should never have gotten into the school business.
Just another money-wasting scam to coerce more tax money to waste.
I would not want to see a nightmare that would arise from all moms dropping off and picking up their kids five days a week.......... lets not forget we will have hundreds of kids walking and crossing roads in front of people who did not want to stop for School buses..........

Back
Top Bottom