• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For all us diabetics out there.

Bro, seriously? Tree fiddy? PLEASE get that under control and STOP smoking! I came danger close to being a three buck Chuck myself about ten years ago.

I took my doctor's advice (at the time of diagnosis in 2015) and went to the American Diabetics Assn website and reviewed their dietary guidelines, then immediately discarded them as poisonous and designed to make me med dependent the rest of my life.

This is anecdotal but what has worked for me (at least a little) is cutting out nearly anything with HFCS, refined sugars, and most fried foods. I avoid white starchy stuff like bread, crackers, rice (especially refined white), pasta and potatoes. Stopped using any type of margarine (IDC what it is made of) and started using regular butter (unsalted for cooking at high temp), olive or coconut oil for sauté.

Add in green vegetables (green beans, broccoli, leafy plants like spinach, turnips, collards, lettuce), cauliflower (cooked, riced, creamed, etc. as a substitute for potatoes), very low fruit intake, and you will settle on a diet that works to lower your body fat and increases your body's ability to burn calories (especially with moderate exercise). You may have to develop a palate for foods you previously disliked and reserve the starchy/fried stuff for a treat or reward at milestones. Eventually you'll find the risk/reward for eating the bad stuff just isn't worth it. As an example, about once per month I travel to the NC coast and allow myself to have ONE visit to Bella's NY Pizza shop in Calabash for a two slice lunch special. Afterwards I feel what a whore must feel like in church on Sunday, but man that's good pizza. LOL.

Not being preachy and I'm sure you know most of this but it's a lifestyle change. I went from an A1C of 11.7 to 5.3. I have a bit to go but my goal is to get off the Metformin and Glipizide eventually.
You Sir are, perhaps unknowingly, on the Keto diet, based on your eating habits...nice.

You Sir are, perhaps unknowingly, on the Keto diet, based on your eating habits...nice.
I reviewed both keto and paleo and took what I liked from both. If you follow the USDA's or ADA's dietary guidelines you are just supporting grain farmers and not doing yourself any nutritional favors.

This worked for me. 11 5 to 5.2.
image.jpg

Don’t believe the advertisements. Read the labels. Carbohydrates are long chains of sugar. I eat limited bread and a sweet every now and then. it takes time. Your not going to fix it shots, pills or exercise. It is what you put in the pie hole.

Don’t believe the advertisements. Read the labels. Carbohydrates are long chains of sugar. I eat limited bread and a sweet every now and then. it takes time. Your not going to fix it shots, pills or exercise. It is what you put in the pie hole.
Calories in, calories expended.

If it didn't work that way Dr. Now wouldn't have a t.v. show.

My last A1C test was back down at 5.4 two months ago, so it looks like I'm back within spitting distance of "Non-diabetic". In my case it took a combination of Jardiance, Metformin and a couple of other medications, which I'm still on, but hope to phase out within the next six months.

As palmettomoon palmettomoon says, a multi-pronged attack is best, and what I found was that I was also driven by the sensation of hunger. Portion sizes were a real challenge along with daytime browsing. It took me many years to drift up to the 300lb mark, and it wasn't until a certain "vaccine" was introduced to the mix that my health went to ****, threw me into Type 2 and gave me a pulmonary embolism.

Anyway - I always used to get 'hangry' with an empty stomach, so at least part of my life was spent "taming the beast" - and while I am cautious about adding rather than reducing medications - my doc and i agreed that we'd try me on Ozempic for a while. I've had mixed results - it's really wonderful to work in the late morning without the impulse to feed my face, but the occasional bouts of severe indigestion were a nuisance.

By natural, or unnatural means, portion control is something I'd advise anyone to try. I'm eating about 50% less food nowadays, which means that if I do want to 'pig out' on something bad, you're still being "better" than before. Hopefully, I can maintain that when I come off Ozempic.

Anyway - just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom