• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fly Fishing Thread .....

I bought a 4pc reddington several years ago, the guy selling them swore by em and it was in my price range at the time. I still have it, stays in my vehicle and ready to go anytime. It’s a 8.5ft 4wt I keep 5wt line on it. I work at a golf club and have access to the lakes after 7pm and all day on Monday so it gets used a lot.
Oh, I'm jealous!

Poppers and Bluegills are still fun.

I used to fish a small lake in Cave Springs that had catalpa worm trees planted along the dam. Whenever a worm would fall in the water, the water would boil with blu gills. i would use my 4 wt and cast anything black and yellow under those trees and catch them. I guess they ate well because they were as big as both of your hands put together. Some of the best fishing I ever did.

I used to fish a small lake in Cave Springs that had catalpa worm trees planted along the dam. Whenever a worm would fall in the water, the water would boil with blu gills. i would use my 4 wt and cast anything black and yellow under those trees and catch them. I guess they ate well because they were as big as both of your hands put together. Some of the best fishing I ever did.
The very first fishing I ever got serious about as a kid was bream on a flyrod. To this day, even with all the other types of fishing I do, it's still a favorite.

That is correct sir! When I was in high school, we used to fish the ponds at a local golf course. We would wear them out most days.

In the 70's, we lived close to Dobbins. There was a 9 hole course between Delk Rd and hwy 41 across from Dobbins called Par 56. We would sneak in and fish, get run off, wait an hour then go back. I don't know which we liked best, fishing or the excitement of running from the man!

In the 70's, we lived close to Dobbins. There was a 9 hole course between Delk Rd and hwy 41 across from Dobbins called Par 56. We would sneak in and fish, get run off, wait an hour then go back. I don't know which we liked best, fishing or the excitement of running from the man!
The golf course we fished at didn’t really allow fishing, but most of the guys playing through didn’t say much since we would give them all of the golf balls that we picked up out of the mud in the fairway and in the edge of the lake.

Got the Echo combo set up and ready to go for Michigan!
I paired an Echo Boost Salt 9 foot, 9Wt rod with an Echo Ion 8/10 reel.
This is the exact setup that we used on King Salmon last Fall and it performed great.
I put a 30#, Rio Toothy Critter leader/wire tippet and a big streamer on it, then started casting out in the yard to get a feel for it. My mediocre casting ability needs much refinement, but I’m getting better each time I practice!
I’m going on a charter trip for trophy Brown Trout/Smallmouth on the Muskegon River next week, I might just bring it in case there’s a chance to hang into a Pike or Musky.

1D7A00B0-B6A4-4729-B77D-11F1EBBDC3E1.jpeg

This is the exact setup that we used on King Salmon last Fall and it performed great.
I put a 30#, Rio Toothy Critter leader/wire tippet and a big streamer on it, then started casting out in the yard to get a feel for it. My mediocre casting ability needs much refinement, but I’m getting better each time I practice!
I’m going on a charter trip for trophy Brown Trout/Smallmouth on the Muskegon River next week, I might just bring it in case there’s a chance to hang into a Pike or Musky.

View attachment 2674648
I went up to northern Maine 10 years ago and trolled for Salmon on the lakes in a Grand laker hand made monster canoe, with a rig like that..My Brother invited me, he guides up there and we had a great time..He is the one that introduced me to the Micky Fin Streamer fly.. I envy you Sir!!! I miss and have dreamed about it, but for me it will never happen now..Live your life to the fullest my Friend....Life is short!

View attachment 2674648
Oh Man! I'm so jealous right now.

Hope you have a blast and looking forward to pics. Lots of them.

Back
Top Bottom