• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Eyesight and SHTF

Poor or degenerative eyesight is a real hindrance. Eyesight that is bad usually gets worse. When the SHTF are optometrists really going to be an option? Scopes are fine but do they correct bad vision? I had always figured that basic, iron-sight guns would be the guns that lasted the longest. Iron sights are difficult to use if you have poor vision and don't have the proper corrective lenses. Some people I know have to have a new set of glasses every 2 years. What are your thoughts for those with poor eyesight for the long term when the SHTF? I don't know jack about optometry but is this an art that will be available if there were no electricity or organized society?

Zenni optical, order several pairs with increasing prescriptions. dirt cheep glasses

Go to walgreens or some such place and buy a whole rack of the off the shelf glasses in different prescriptions. The ones you don't use will most likely be an extremely valuable trade commodity.

I have had really good eyesight most of my life. When I reached 66 or 67 a few years back the doctor told me that my cataracts were bad enough that I needed to have them taken care of. For about the last 5 or 6 years before that he had prescribed glasses and I was doing OK but had noticed that even with my glasses my ability to see fine detail was going down.

After my surgery, and the doctor decided himself to set me up with great distance vision, but mediocre close up I am doing great. I have to wear reading glasses to be able to work on the computer or read a magazine but I need no help for any kind of distance thing. I can use iron sights on my rifles and hit the good rings at 100 yards all day long. I even got the drivers license folks to take the "corrective lenses" thing off my license this last time.

So, if you have a correctable issue that you can have fixed before SHTF or before 12/21 when the Christmas Star will again be in the sky or before some other election thing happens, etc, then I would encourage you to have the corrective actions taken, be they cataract, lasik or laser. It can only make things better for you in the future and those options can easily go away. In the meantime, if you are not going to do that, stock up on reading glasses in increasing powers, it's good insurance.

Go to walgreens or some such place and buy a whole rack of the off the shelf glasses in different prescriptions. The ones you don't use will most likely be an extremely valuable trade commodity.
There was an old Twilight Zone (or might have been Outer Limits) where a guy loved to read and was down in a bank vault for lunch when the bomb went off. He came out and everyone was gone but there was a whole library of books to read. He sat down to read one and dropped and broke his glasses. He wore thick lenses and was out of luck. Had everything he ever wanted and no way to access it.

Buying up reading glasses is a good idea. Just like I have stocked up on cheap hearing aids if I love my good ones, at least I'll still be able to hear something.

There was an old Twilight Zone (or might have been Outer Limits) where a guy loved to read and was down in a bank vault for lunch when the bomb went off. He came out and everyone was gone but there was a whole library of books to read. He sat down to read one and dropped and broke his glasses. He wore thick lenses and was out of luck. Had everything he ever wanted and no way to access it.

Buying up reading glasses is a good idea. Just like I have stocked up on cheap hearing aids if I love my good ones, at least I'll still be able to hear something.

I remember that episode.

Back
Top Bottom