• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Eyesight and SHTF

dieselengine9

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Poor or degenerative eyesight is a real hindrance. Eyesight that is bad usually gets worse. When the SHTF are optometrists really going to be an option? Scopes are fine but do they correct bad vision? I had always figured that basic, iron-sight guns would be the guns that lasted the longest. Iron sights are difficult to use if you have poor vision and don't have the proper corrective lenses. Some people I know have to have a new set of glasses every 2 years. What are your thoughts for those with poor eyesight for the long term when the SHTF? I don't know jack about optometry but is this an art that will be available if there were no electricity or organized society?

Ben Franklin had corrective lenses. I imagine we will be able to generate some level of technology even if things degenerate that bad. With the basic eye chart and a box of lenses from an abandoned store a small group should still be able to manage. Contacts may be a bit ticklish though. ;)

You get the oddest first post award.
Welcome to the ODT

tish tosh. I like it for a first post. It is thoughtful and interesting. Too many first posts are someone telling us we need to change the site because where they USED to post...blah, blah...

Here you go:

adjustable focus eyeglass - http://www.superfocus.com/?utm_sour...utm_content=toomany&utm_campaign=Gdescriptors

They are not cheap - $700. But consider it'll be the last pair you need for the rest of your life, maybe it's not bad. I spend $200-$300 on glasses every 2 to 3 years.

Those are really neat. A great idea. But they do NOT address the ongoing deterioration of sight with normal aging. They start with your present prescription and give closer focal lengths for medium and close range focus. but as you age your prescription will change and the outer lense will still need to be modified to your new needs.

My plan is to get my wife her lasik with the tax money, then we don't have to worry about glasses. Its not just for survival though, she has wanted it for a long time lol

Most of the time you can lose the glasses, but some people still end up having to use them for reading. Age will change your eyes again, so it is not really a permanent fix.

true about lasik not being an ideal long term option but for someone like me who is currently -6.0 vision, i'm practically blind without glasses or contacts. I just had PRK done in one eye last week and will get the other eye done when this one heals. it should put my standard vision back to 20/20. because i'm over 40, I will still end up wearing reading glasses for close up work (computer, reading, etc), but overall, compared to where I was, I will be able to function close to 100% without glasses or contacts. much much better option that my current vision.

I am meeting with my eye doc in a few weeks to see about what eye surgery options I have for me. I am supposed to be looking at right around 1400 to get both of my eyes fixed for at least 20/20...There are so many ways now Lasik, Lasek, actual surgery, it goes on and on...My eyes have finally stayed the same with out change for the past two years, I have horrible vision for my age. I'm in my 20's and have -7.75 and -8.00(?) I am blind with out my glasses. And normal soft contacts were never an option for me, I could only use hard contacts ( called Gas perms) which were painful as ever.

But to the op I have often wondered the same thing. I would be screwed if my glasses broke in SHTF...

Back
Top Bottom