• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do you double clutch when you shift gears?

Long story short: a friend got a used 911 (Porsche, not 1911, ha) and I got to drive it the first week he had it. I really, really didn't mean to scare him, but I'd driven more competitively than he had at that point (and I'm not that good either) . When we were done, and he admitted he'd never thought it could handle like it did I told him the brake pedal needed to be adjusted so he could heel and toe better. At full brake, the brake and gas pedals need to be close to, if not at, the same level (distance from the floor board).

He had no clue what I meant, but a week later called me because "Hans," his "german mechanic" told him the same thing. Then I had to teach him more. I was an over excited idiot who scared him, then a German tells him one thing, and I'm Mario!

Double clutch a modern manual is not needed whatsoever. It slows the shift anyway taking away any advantage to having such a "sports car" anyway.
Millions in R&D to keep from having to do this and people think they can somehow make it better.

Long story short: a friend got a used 911 (Porsche, not 1911, ha) and I got to drive it the first week he had it. I really, really didn't mean to scare him, but I'd driven more competitively than he had at that point (and I'm not that good either) . When we were done, and he admitted he'd never thought it could handle like it did I told him the brake pedal needed to be adjusted so he could heel and toe better. At full brake, the brake and gas pedals need to be close to, if not at, the same level (distance from the floor board).

He had no clue what I meant, but a week later called me because "Hans," his "german mechanic" told him the same thing. Then I had to teach him more. I was an over excited idiot who scared him, then a German tells him one thing, and I'm Mario!

A 911 is def not a good platform to learn how to heel and toe, esp the older 911s from the 70s and 80s. If you get scared midway through a curve and back off the gas then you are in for one hell of a ride...

A 911 is def not a good platform to learn how to heel and toe, esp the older 911s from the 70s and 80s. If you get scared midway through a curve and back off the gas then you are in for one hell of a ride...
Actually it is, since it's more difficult than most.
Makes it easy on most others afterwards...although not as rewarding. I've owned quite a few 911s and still do

Actually it is, since it's more difficult than most.
Makes it easy on most others afterwards...although not as rewarding. I've owned quite a few 911s and still do

Yeah its more difficult but does that make it easier to learn on a car that will swap ends in a heartbeat if you get it wrong? I'm not a Porsche expert but I have driven a few and have quite a bit of respect for them. They are amazing cars but def not for inexperienced drivers. My friend's dad has a '79 930 and that thing is a blast to drive. It takes forever for the turbo to spool up but once it makes boost you jump into freaking hyperspace.

Back
Top Bottom