• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help with GMC 2500hd shift cable

whitelightnin22

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Hard Workin’ Honky
139   0
Reaction score
Hey guys I am far from a qualified mechanic but I can usually get it done myself from time to time. I recently installed a new water pump and thermostats in my truck. Decided while it was the weekend to replace the shift cable since it has been giving me issues going into park. I bought a new cable from oreillys and watched a YouTube video on changing it out. I did it just as the guy did in the video minus raising the truck off the ground. I notice the cable seems too long. When the end of the cable is hooked on the shift handle it wont connect underneath the truck where the two cables meet. I can’t get the cable to slide together even though the shift handle and transmission are both in park. Is the cable just too long? Should I have lifted the truck off the ground first? Someone please give me some advice.

Attachments

• 2B83FA3A-2C36-4F6A-AB43-B7E033FACBCE.jpeg
    2B83FA3A-2C36-4F6A-AB43-B7E033FACBCE.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 16
Is it the same length as the one your removed? If you don’t want to remove it Google the part number and it should give you a length. You can then measure the old one and compare. There may be options for cab differences and such.

Have you checked to see if the trans and motor mounts are not worn/broke ? This would possibly give a mis-alignment ??
Otherwise, I would check the length of the new cable vs. the length of the original.
You may have to go to dealer and get an OEM cable .

Back
Top Bottom