• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do you double clutch when you shift gears?

When I had my Z06 I could jump down from any gear at any given speed with a quick rev match and you'd never even knew I dropped 2 or 3 gears other than the rpms were up. It was that smooth. I knew exactly what rpm to hit at that given speed to get the buttery smooth shift into that gear. But that comes with owning a sports car and knowing how to drive it and driving it like it was meant to be driven.

Caught many unsuspecting people off guard that tried to roll up on me

You only really need to DC on a non syncro.

Bringing up the engine speed to match the trans speed is just standard when downshifting. Less wear and tear on the whole drive train. .

Exactly. Double clutching with a blip of the throttle during downshifts is better no matter what you drive.

I knew exactly what rpm to hit at that given speed to get the buttery smooth shift into that gear.

Yep. It may take a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it you will be amazed at how much smoother it is.

And I don't really see what the point of all these "automatically shifting manuals" is. A true sports car isn't supposed to drive itself. You are supposed to be a good enough driver to be able to connect with your machine and let the car become a part of your body. Like I said before, if you don't want to be bothered with learning how to shift correctly you are better off getting a minivan.

I thought you only have to double clutch if the transmission didnt have synchronisers

That's what I do. If it has syncronisers and they aren't worn there is no need to double clutch. Some syncronisers are made of brass and will wear to the point that the gears will grind when changing. But as long as you run the correct dope in the transmission, change it regularly and don't run it low they usually last for years and years problem free.

Edited to add: you can change out worn syncronisers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom