• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shop you'd trust to do an engine change Snellville / Lilburn / Lawrenceville area

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
So, wife's Hyundai Santa Fe engines locked up, (no need to discuss Hyundai engines !).

The decision whether to replace the engine's a tough one; cost looks to be very close to the repaired value, (does a new engine in a 100k mile card add much resale value ?).

Does anyone know of a shop in the Snellville / Lilburn / Lawrenceville area they'd trust to do a decent quality job at a fair price ?

If I end up selling "as is" where would you list it ?

The budget to get another vehicle would be pretty much the repair cost, so would be older as well, (just don't have any spare $), so a bit of the devil you know v the devil you don't scenario. She has Cadillac tastes, I have a Kia pocket.

I don't know of anyone in that area, but I would recommend checking to make sure there isn't a recall. Some Hyundai's and Kia's had known engine issues. I have a co-worker and Kia just bought his car because of an engine problem.

Yours may not apply, but it's at least worth a look.

A new engine would up the resale value some, but not nearly as much as you'll pay to have it done.

Good luck with it.

I don't know of anyone in that area, but I would recommend checking to make sure there isn't a recall. Some Hyundai's and Kia's had known engine issues. I have a co-worker and Kia just bought his car because of an engine problem.

Yours may not apply, but it's at least worth a look.

A new engine would up the resale value some, but not nearly as much as you'll pay to have it done.

Good luck with it.
It's at a Hyundai dealer right now to check in on the warranty aspect, but I think it won't make the failure criteria, which are quite specific. The key factor is which would be a better vehicle, current one, (in pretty good condition), with a 0 miles engine, or another older / higher mileage car for the cost of the replacement engine. Given the used car market now, not clear cut.

StuP, sorry if this is a thread hijack: Any idea why it failed? And insights into why it wouldn't be warrantied (assuming 100K warranty)?

We're on the fence about continuing to keep our 180K miles 2007 Lincoln Navigator on the road, vs. a new SUV. Hyundai (and Kia) now have a ton of vehicles out on the road. Have a friend who had Hyundai 4 cyl sedan engine troubles at 100K. Don't know much about the long-term quality of these Korean-made vehicles. They seem to get very good reviews in the consumer press/auto sites, but I wonder if those accolades take reliability into account.

Also: Robert's Automotive in Suwanee is a great, small-shop mechanic. Don't know if he does engine swaps, but he took care of our cars (Ford and Lincoln) for a few years before we moved to Hartwell, and another member, my friend Sandy (RIP), used him for many years for all of his vehicles (Toyota, Honda, Nissan).

Family member had the engine replaced in their KIA Optima under the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.
The requirements were to have previously had the software update and records of oil changes so don't give up hope.

For a full size truck or SUV, I would consider paying for a replacement engine.
For a car where the cost of the engine is as much as the value of the car, I would sell it for scrap and buy another used vehicle.

I would make sure it don't qualify for the warranty (don't be afraid to fight them or even ask a lawyer).

I would just hope to pay a shop to do all that work and what if it don't work or you have constant issues, then your left out the money anyway?

For me I would not put that money in the KIA, I would list on ODT and FB sell it cut my losses and get a Toyota or Honda.

Hope you get it sorted, I know car prices are still whacky and money don't' grow on trees. I wish you luck.

Back
Top Bottom