• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do you double clutch when you shift gears?

If you have an MG, you need all the help you can get.

Double clutch is just the tip of that iceberg.

Honestly the most reliable and dependable car I have ever had was the 1957 MGA that I drove in high school. It always fired right up on the first crank even on the coldest mornings and it never ever left me by the side of the road. Ever. That car was my daily driver for 5 years until I was hit by a drunk driver and it was totaled. The '58 MGA that I have now is just as good but I don't use it as my daily driver. I think their reputation for being unreliable is the result of ****ty mechanics who don't understand them or maintain them properly. Its not a Chevy truck but still if you know how to take care of them they should last forever.

Duece and half was the only thing Ive ever driven that you -had- to dc. Anything big with major gear reduction will need to be dc'd. If you're dc'ing your honda civic, you're just building up your left calf.

With the very small amount of people these days that even know how to drive a manual, I highly doubt many people are capable of comprehending a double clutch action.

Yeah its sad isn't it? I can't stand automatics. Manuals are better in almost every category. They are simpler, lighter, stronger, more efficient, and give you better control of the car overall. They also last forever as long as you don't abuse them. Worst case scenario you have to change the clutch around 100k. Its a pain but it can usually be done in an afternoon for about $150 in parts and then you are good for another 100k miles. Automatics usually need to be completely rebuilt around that time to the tune of $2-3k.

What is really depressing is how many new "sports cars" don't even come with manuals anymore. The closest you can come is an automatic with those lame ass paddle shifters. If you don't know how to shift correctly you are probably better off getting a minivan.

Back
Top Bottom