• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

DH rule comes to the National League

Can y'all actually contribute to the question and not just bitch about pro sports?

They didn't "go on strike" this time. Their CBA expired and had to be renegotiated.

I love NL getting the DH. It was an unfair advantage for the AL to have a dedicated hitter on their line up. The NL had to basically sub one every time they played an AL squad.
If a pitcher can hit then that's great, but they aren't there to hit. They are there to pitch.

Can y'all actually contribute to the question and not just bitch about pro sports?

They didn't "go on strike" this time. Their CBA expired and had to be renegotiated.

I love NL getting the DH. It was an unfair advantage for the AL to have a dedicated hitter on their line up. The NL had to basically sub one every time they played an AL squad.
If a pitcher can hit then that's great, but they aren't there to hit. They are there to pitch.

With inter-league play becoming so prevalent, I think you make a valid point. Previously, I'd say a NL team in the post season would easily start a bench player for his defensive skills and move a great hitter who was so-so in the field to DH. There's way more strategy involved when pitchers are expected to be able to drop a sacrifice bunt and managers really have to choose when to bring in a pinch hitter and a relief pitcher. Furthermore, more than a few pitchers made their careers being okay starting pitchers and okay hitters, which turned them into solid, viable guys in the rotation. The game's getting simplified a little and the rosters are getting dominated by power/strikeout guys. I might just be getting old and curmudgeonly.

With inter-league play becoming so prevalent, I think you make a valid point. Previously, I'd say a NL team in the post season would easily start a bench player for his defensive skills and move a great hitter who was so-so in the field to DH. There's way more strategy involved when pitchers are expected to be able to drop a sacrifice bunt and managers really have to choose when to bring in a pinch hitter and a relief pitcher. Furthermore, more than a few pitchers made their careers being okay starting pitchers and okay hitters, which turned them into solid, viable guys in the rotation. The game's getting simplified a little and the rosters are getting dominated by power/strikeout guys. I might just be getting old and curmudgeonly.
Small ball has become a lost art. I love small ball, but the long ball will always be the money maker and honestly, pitcher battles can get pretty boring. Especially if you are at the stadium. There just not much excitement watching 3 up 3 down for 7 innings with a walk or blooper single thrown in.

The AL was never going to remove the DH so the NL had to implement it to stay competitive with them.

Small ball has become a lost art. I love small ball, but the long ball will always be the money maker and honestly, pitcher battles can get pretty boring. Especially if you are at the stadium. There just not much excitement watching 3 up 3 down for 7 innings with a walk or blooper single thrown in.

The AL was never going to remove the DH so the NL had to implement it to stay competitive with them.
Eliminating small ball makes the sport more accessible to fans who have no idea what's happening in general. I get it. I've been to Braves games the past several years. People's attention spans are getting shorter and MLB has to do something to stay viable. Plus, teams are winning with lineups that look like Carlos Pena from top to bottom. If that's how the NL needs to stay competitive then I get it.

Back
Top Bottom