• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying private land to shoot on?

Just a couple of other things to consider with land.

1. Taxes. This is an expense I haven't seen mentioned here. You will pay property taxes.
2. Trespassers. They come out of the wood work from every where, and the local LE are not too concerned with them. People with horses are the worst.
3. Friends. You will find friends that you never knew who want to shoot/hunt on your property. Worse they will invite their friends to shoot/hunt on your property. They will destroy target stands, clay throwers, atvs, tractors, gates and everything else. When you go to use your stuff, it will be destroyed. All tractor and atv fuel tanks will be empty. Nobody can use a grease gun. I have had "friends" who have shot spikes (yes plural) while standing over buttons that they have just killed.
3a. Friends will have overdue library books to return and funerals to attend if you ask for any sort of help for any task or maintenance.
5. Anything of value will be stolen. See point 2 above about LE.

I could go on and on. You are better served joining a shooting club. I speak from experience.
I've owned land. Don't want to again. A rental property in a good location is much better investment..but....whatever floats your boat

Just a couple of other things to consider with land.

2. Trespassers. They come out of the wood work from every where, and the local LE are not too concerned with them.

3. Friends. You will find friends that you never knew who want to shoot/hunt on your property. Worse they will invite their friends to shoot/hunt on your property. They will destroy target stands, clay throwers, atvs, tractors, gates and everything else. When you go to use your stuff, it will be destroyed.

5. Anything of value will be stolen.

I could go on and on. You are better served joining a shooting club. I speak from experience.

Amen, and I too speak from experience.

Let me add that you can ensure range safety when you are personally there
with the other people shooting,
but when acquaintances come to the range without you they are liable to hang beer bottles in trees and shoot them with their muzzles pointed upward 20° above the horizon. They're liable to bring a lot of garbage, shoot up their old appliances and just leave the mess there . They are liable to hang targets on tree trunks of trees that you do not want killed but will be killed after a dozen bullets have perforated them....

... They'll put targets on the ground 50 feet in front of the backstop,
virtually guaranteeing that every shot fired will ricochet over the berm to land God knows where...

Amen, and I too speak from experience.

Let me add that you can ensure range safety when you are personally there
with the other people shooting,
but when acquaintances come to the range without you they are liable to hang beer bottles in trees and shoot them with their muzzles pointed upward 20° above the horizon. They're liable to bring a lot of garbage, shoot up their old appliances and just leave the mess there . They are liable to hang targets on tree trunks of trees that you do not want killed but will be killed after a dozen bullets have perforated them....

... They'll put targets on the ground 50 feet in front of the backstop,
virtually guaranteeing that every shot fired will ricochet over the berm to land God knows where...
Which is why you don't let folks come shoot when you aren't there.

Landwatch. Last I looked property could be had in South Ga for around $2500 per acre. Generally if your polite and respectful to your neighbors things go well. If your out in the middle of the night firing a lot and keeping everyone awake.....you better be shooting snakes not running drills. Of course it is possible to shoot up to 135 snakes before the Sheriff shows up.......

Landwatch. Last I looked property could be had in South Ga for around $2500 per acre. Generally if your polite and respectful to your neighbors things go well. If your out in the middle of the night firing a lot and keeping everyone awake.....you better be shooting snakes not running drills. Of course it is possible to shoot up to 135 snakes before the Sheriff shows up.......
Many years ago I shot 1 to 10 snakes a day for 3 months on my property I owned that had a creek running thru. I was told by a cop that it is illegal to kill snakes in Georgia when he responded to gun fire from a neighbor.

Many years ago I shot 1 to 10 snakes a day for 3 months on my property I owned that had a creek running thru. I was told by a cop that it is illegal to kill snakes in Georgia when he responded to gun fire from a neighbor.
I think it's illegal to kill non poisonous snakes in GA. Not sure about the bad kind.

It is illegal to kill a non-venomous snake in Georgia. Venomous? not illegal...

I killed 80% non venomous snakes. Must have killed 60 in 3 months.
That ended up causing rats to dig in under my house. They were attracted to my Saint Bernard and Rottweilers food. I used poison rat killer cakes.
I went under my house and filled 3 bags of dead rats. I counted 16. I set traps and stopped killing snakes and the rats stopped coming. I was amazed how fast the rats came after killing snakes beside my creek.
The best shot to kill snakes was the 45 auto. It seemed the keep a tight pattern at 25 feet.

Back
Top Bottom