• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying private land to shoot on?

As Gaffer said, it's illegal to kill non-venomous snakes. The burden is on YOU to know what the bad snakes are and to recognize them. Remember Jeff Cooper's 4th fundamental rule of gun safety: Know your target..." That's the issue here. Target identification.

As an aside, right now most cops in Georgia aren't really too gung-ho about enforcing this law.
If the animal rights wackos get a little more power and have their hysterical, emotional policies infect the law enforcement and criminal justice systems, you could have much stronger investigation and prosecution of these crimes. Since killing a non-game animal that is not regarded as being a pest and commonly treated as a pest is a crime, it's theoretically possible for it to be charged as "animal cruelty" -- which could be a felony.
Keep in mind how the anti-gun crowd would LOVE TO SEE that all poaching /unlawful killing of animals BE PROSECUTED AS FELONIES, since that would increase the number of people who can't legally have guns or ammo anymore, and that further erodes the Second Amendment.

I came up with the figure of 135 from an incident almost 50 years ago. I went swimming in a pond behind the house during the day, that night it sounded like a small war over at the pond. Mom called the Sheriff, after a bit some local boys drove past leaving the area. The Sheriff stopped to explain the situation to Mom, basically the boys went over to gig frogs and instead shot 135 water snakes instead, frogs were in short supply!

I’ve got a little place back in the woods outside Ellijay. I like it a lot and recommend it. Not Ellijay, but the idea of buying land.

If you have cash, it’s probably better than cash in the bank.

Bartow County, Gordon County, are probably both good.

My idea would be to buy a location where are you appreciate the drive. Because you’re probably be going back-and-forth a lot.

I like 575 north, but I’m in Marietta and Kennesaw. I hate 85 north. It would stress me out every time I went there.

So buy something in a place that’s relaxing for you to go to. Buy as many acres as possible. I was thinking 30 or more at 3 to 6K an acre.

Go take classes with folks like Tactical Response, John Lovell, cmshoot cmshoot , etc if you want training. Having your own land would only make it easier to host a trainer...hmm that's a good idea actually...

Owning your own land let you set up whatever you like. Leaving steel targets out all the time… Shooting however you want. I love it.

If you are going to store anything of value in a remote place that you mostly visit on weekends, you better have some good surveillance cameras and a good relationship with the local police.
The meth, ice and heroin epidemic has decimated the youth in all the rural areas that I know about. Anything that is not secured is stolen or will be damaged.

I hear this is true in a lot of places, but not where I’m located.

My place has been secure since day one. It’s very landlocked. Private gated road 2 miles long.

There’s a few full-time owners behind that same gate. I have cameras and such as well, but never seen anybody besides a utility meater reader or something like that.

57.64 +/- ACRES ELLIJAY, GA

Mountain Ash Road : Ellijay, GA 30536
Gilmer County, Georgia
57.64 ACRES
$256,498 USD $285,318
$4,450 / AC

https://www.landflip.com/land/260674

That's nice.

I agree with the OP, having a place to go and shoot, or just do with what you want, when you want would be amazing. I've been toying with the idea myself.

I have an Airstream, I would go camp for a week at a time.

Back
Top Bottom