Anyone asked to serve on a sumbcomittee for the 10 year Deer Management Plan by DNR?

Spell out how this regional harvest limits would work and if there's any cost how it would be paid for. Hunters time and again say they won't support a $1 increase for any number of what I'd think most would consider money well spent (like more enforcement).
While Georgia (nor any state) is perfect, given the fact we're only behind TX, MI, and WI in buck harvest, I'd hardly call it a train wreck.
:)

There isn't going to be ANY cost associated with the county by county regulations. Back in the day, we had county by county doe days. It's mere regulations and enforcement of the laws therein. You already have officers out enforcing the law but now they'd have to enforce the county for which they are in.

And the idea that we know what BUCK harvests are is a joke. Where is that number magically coming from? Telephone calls? I've never gotten one and I've hunted since I was 8!

There isn't going to be ANY cost associated with the county by county regulations. Back in the day, we had county by county doe days. It's mere regulations and enforcement of the laws therein. You already have officers out enforcing the law but now they'd have to enforce the county for which they are in.

And the idea that we know what BUCK harvests are is a joke. Where is that number magically coming from? Telephone calls? I've never gotten one and I've hunted since I was 8!
HOW will it work? Explain how different limits by county are going to work from a practical level. Just right the county on the tag and wardens pull out there list of counties by areaa then check your tags and add up the different counties to see if you taken too many from an 'area'?
Here are some harvest numbers. http://www.qdma.com/uploads/pdf/WR2013.pdf Tags, telecheck, whatever, none of them are exactly accurate. I agree, Georgia's has more 'estimating' than many.

Georgia has a WILD A** GUESS system... End of story...

Listen, not to be rude b/c I consider you a friend and you know that. But we could debate this until the sun comes up on judgment day but what you, I or Joe Blow wants isn't going to mean nothing to what a rich backer of political prowess wants. We are just piss ants on the hill and they'll only do what they want to do when someone of clout comes a screaming. Just look at my BUI push. It took kids dying and the governor to get phone calls from some big Lanier money folks to get done in a month what I tried to do for 4 years! I had a majority of the state saying "We support it" but it didn't even get a notion yet when big money rang the phone it all the sudden became a MUST DO item.

It's all political.

If you want something done, find several folks close to the governors heart that have money, influence and are in good standing to go in with you. Then you've gone from a snowball's chance to a baseball's chance in hell.

Georgia has a WILD A** GUESS system... End of story...

Listen, not to be rude b/c I consider you a friend and you know that. But we could debate this until the sun comes up on judgment day but what you, I or Joe Blow wants isn't going to mean nothing to what a rich backer of political prowess wants. We are just piss ants on the hill and they'll only do what they want to do when someone of clout comes a screaming. Just look at my BUI push. It took kids dying and the governor to get phone calls from some big Lanier money folks to get done in a month what I tried to do for 4 years! I had a majority of the state saying "We support it" but it didn't even get a notion yet when big money rang the phone it all the sudden became a MUST DO item.

It's all political.

If you want something done, find several folks close to the governors heart that have money, influence and are in good standing to go in with you. Then you've gone from a snowball's chance to a baseball's chance in hell.
I don't think we are (at least I'm not) debating your contentions. I agree, we have an inaccurate system and one, like most, that is nothing more than an honor system. What I'm trying to understand, is your proposal for 'fixes' in the event I do go to these meetings. I'd like to have as much input as possible. Hence the OP....
I "gots" no rich friends close to the govenor.

Your being on the sub-comm will at least offer a point of view and opinion. Your ODTrs will appreciate your efforts. Let us know how it goes.

Oh and the spill that, If the sub committee and the upper echelon committee agrees, the DNR will support it for change gets you. Just remember, just b/c the DNR wants to do the right thing and supports something doesn't mean the political process will let the wheels turn. I fully support our DNR, I want the best for the state, but our DNR is so intricately woven into the political process that we can't say what we really think or do what really needs to be done for fear of pissing someone off. That's fact and that's a very slippery slope we are on. We are in bed so deep we can't piss the sheets for fear we'll have to sleep in it! I think our DNR does the best juggling act possible with the limited balls they are afforded. Read that twice, double meaning.

Back
Top Bottom