Anyone asked to serve on a sumbcomittee for the 10 year Deer Management Plan by DNR?

I'm confused about what you are saying here. :confused: You say 10 does is absurdly high in many areas (I agree) but then talk about an absurdly out of whack sex ratio yet you only take a few deer each season?

He's saying it should be COUNTY by COUNTY regs.

Some areas of the state should have the 10 does but others don't need a doe day at ALL!

This ^. I was responding to Dawn2Dusk, but I see by his later post we are in agreement. Ideally I would like to see it managed by area instead of statewide, because all areas are different, but in reality I know this would not happen.

If for example the number of does were reduced to 2 per year ( hypothetical), I would most likely not get a chance to fill my freezer for the year because I rarely see a buck in daylight.

Just because deer need minerals, and in some areas, like mine, the soil is very mineral deficient. I do not even do minerals personally, but I would like the option if I thought it would help in the management.
A deer has NEVER died in Georgia from starvation or a mineral deficiency. :)
I don't use them either. I used to. I do normally plant something but it's as much for me and others (this year for example, hope to have some radishes, turnips, mustard greens, to share if the animals leave any) as any critter that may dine on it. I'd be fine if foods plots weren't legal but I don't think that's done anywhere probably because it's impossible to regulate and as mentioned is harmless.

How about 2 bucks 4 does STATEWIDE. If you need more deer taken off your place to 'manage' it (which is an absolute joke given the average tract size in Georgia), then how about inviting friends over to thin the does and thereby increasing hunter access?

B/C the approach to STATEWIDE is a one size fits most application still. There are literally counties in Georgia that only need 1 buck and a season of just a month, maybe less. Other areas in the state could support the 10 does, 2 bucks.

If we, the state of Georgia, wants to be taken seriously about it's deer management, then get with it. Manage it on a area by area basis with a well founded tagging system to gather as much information from the PUBLIC as possible. When, where, buck /doe, how many points, weapon used, private/public land, etc.

A deer has NEVER died in Georgia from starvation or a mineral deficiency. :)
I don't use them either. I used to. I do normally plant something but it's as much for me and others (this year for example, hope to have some radishes, turnips, mustard greens, to share if the animals leave any) as any critter that may dine on it. I'd be fine if foods plots weren't legal but I don't think that's done anywhere probably because it's impossible to regulate and as mentioned is harmless.

Like I said I do not do it either, but I do not think the option should be taken away. I do not have a need to practice QDMA because I am not a trophy hunter, and I could kill all the deer I want if I were so inclined, but I should still be able to manage my property the way I see fit with natural practices. Minerals are natural. Even food plots could be considered natural if you are in an agricultural area. Throwing corn in a feeder is not natural. It is not beneficial to the deer. And frankly it is just plain lazy.

This ^. I was responding to Dawn2Dusk, but I see by his later post we are in agreement. Ideally I would like to see it managed by area instead of statewide, because all areas are different, but in reality I know this would not happen.

If for example the number of does were reduced to 2 per year ( hypothetical), I would most likely not get a chance to fill my freezer for the year because I rarely see a buck in daylight.
I agree, there are some pretty drastic differences in herd condition in varying parts of the state. But HOW do you regulate it?
Give every hunter 'x' number of tags per region? How in the world are you going to determine which region I shot my deer in? Let's say there are 4 regions and for doe tags I get 2,4,6, and 12 per region. For each region I get 2 buck tags. So a hunter could legally shoot 32 deer? Why are poachers and those that kill over the limit going to use these new tags if they don't use the ones we currently have?
While I despise the concept of "doe days" if you really want to limit the harvest in an area, shorten the season dramatically. Good luck with THAT! (I personally wouldn't support it either.)
Again, remember, Alabama had a ONE DEER PER DAY 'limit' for many years. They had a pretty substantial herd throughout.
All the rules in the world don't make much difference if there is no regulation.
It is my experience that sadly hunters don't regulate themselves and sure as heck don't call out their law breaking "buddy".

Like I said I do not do it either, but I do not think the option should be taken away. I do not have a need to practice QDMA because I am not a trophy hunter, and I could kill all the deer I want if I were so inclined, but I should still be able to manage my property the way I see fit with natural practices. Minerals are natural. Even food plots could be considered natural if you are in an agricultural area. Throwing corn in a feeder is not natural. It is not beneficial to the deer. And frankly it is just plain lazy.
I agree with the exception of the bolded. That's where we disagree.

I agree with the exception of the bolded. That's where we disagree.

Ok yeah throwing out a mineral block is not natural, but minerals in the soil are natural. The soil in my area is very mineral deficient. I know because my wife grows an organic garden, and we test the soil yearly. I am not educated enough on the subject to know if this is causing any issues with the health of the deer in my area, but if it was proven the deer would benefit from adding minerals, I would not want to have to go through a legislative process to have the option to add minerals. I have waited long enough to hunt with a suppressor...

B/C the approach to STATEWIDE is a one size fits most application still. There are literally counties in Georgia that only need 1 buck and a season of just a month, maybe less. Other areas in the state could support the 10 does, 2 bucks.

If we, the state of Georgia, wants to be taken seriously about it's deer management, then get with it. Manage it on a area by area basis with a well founded tagging system to gather as much information from the PUBLIC as possible. When, where, buck /doe, how many points, weapon used, private/public land, etc.
Spell out how this regional harvest limits would work and if there's any cost how it would be paid for. Hunters time and again say they won't support a $1 increase for any number of what I'd think most would consider money well spent (like more enforcement).
While Georgia (nor any state) is perfect, given the fact we're only behind TX, MI, and WI in buck harvest, I'd hardly call it a train wreck.

- - - Updated - - -

I have waited long enough to hunt with a suppressor...
Don't get me started... I'm waiting right there with you... :)

Back
Top Bottom