Anyone asked to serve on a sumbcomittee for the 10 year Deer Management Plan by DNR?

10 does are absurd in some areas, but ideally it should be managed based on the area. I only kill what I need to eat for a year which generally works out to 3 - 4 deer each season, but I am absolutely covered up in doe. I own 20 acres, and I have access to another 100+ around my property. All my cameras show 7 - 8 to 1 doe to buck in the area. I know they hang out on the property because I know where multiple bedding areas are located.

That's why I said this;

The state deer regulations should be looked at on a COUNTY by COUNTY basis. If a group of counties form a section of the state and they have the same needs with regards to regulations that's fine. Bound them together, name the area, and place regulations on it.

If the Southern Coastal Plains can sustain a 2 bucks, 10 does limit per hunter then go for it.

But the Northwest Foothills might can't sustain but a 1 buck, 2 does limit per hunter due to herd populations and the vast number of hunters in the area and to the area.

One size fits most is throwing crap against the wall and see what sticks!

Of course it is. You are not going to restrict minerals on a cattle farm the same way you aren't going to restrict a farmer from feeding his chickens.

So how would one regulate deer hunting to a guy who hunts a tract with 4 cattle pastures and a guy who only hunts woods? Nix the mineral debate. It doesn't aid in hunting deer anyhow b/c the majority of licking is done in the Summer.

10 does are absurd in some areas, but ideally it should be managed based on the area. I only kill what I need to eat for a year which generally works out to 3 - 4 deer each season, but I am absolutely covered up in doe. I own 20 acres, and I have access to another 100+ around my property. All my cameras show 7 - 8 to 1 doe to buck in the area. I know they hang out on the property because I know where multiple bedding areas are located.
I'm confused about what you are saying here. :confused: You say 10 does is absurdly high in many areas (I agree) but then talk about an absurdly out of whack sex ratio yet you only take a few deer each season?

So how would one regulate deer hunting to a guy who hunts a tract with 4 cattle pastures and a guy who only hunts woods? Nix the mineral debate. It doesn't aid in hunting deer anyhow b/c the majority of licking is done in the Summer.
The exact same way placed grains are regulated. If you believe there is a biological concern about having animals artificially concentrated at a feed trough, it's only amplified at a minderal lick. I didn't bring up the 'debate' and fully conceeded my desires will never see regulations.
Most "hunters" in Georgia want the easiest possible way to kill as many deer as possible. Most changes I'd like to see aren't in lock step with such an agenda.

It's the same 'logic' as placed grains. Why would you support or oppose one and not the other? :confused:

Just because deer need minerals, and in some areas, like mine, the soil is very mineral deficient. I do not even do minerals personally, but I would like the option if I thought it would help in the management.

He's saying it should be COUNTY by COUNTY regs.

Some areas of the state should have the 10 does but others don't need a doe day at ALL!
How about 2 bucks 4 does STATEWIDE. If you need more deer taken off your place to 'manage' it (which is an absolute joke given the average tract size in Georgia), then how about inviting friends over to thin the does and thereby increasing hunter access?

Back
Top Bottom