Anyone asked to serve on a sumbcomittee for the 10 year Deer Management Plan by DNR?

The reasoning on the telecheck/in person check is always money. The argument against 'tags' is we have them already, they just aren't required to be put on the deer. I get the difference, just staying the debate.
While that warden may have gotten his chuckle on, the problem with too many game laws, is the same thing with too many gun laws. Only the people who are legal in the first place will follow them. You think the guy shooting a half dozen bucks and 20 does right now is going to care about a physcial tagging or telecheck system?
I wish we'd eliminate doe only days, reduce the doe limit, loosen regulations even further on coyotes and hogs on public lands, and eliminate all feeding of deer using placed feeds year round. I realize my 'wishes' and reality will probably not meet.
Unfortunately GA's deer herd doesn't belong to just GA hunters...

I know you realize how STUPID our tags are now. There are guys printing out 4 copies of the license. They don't fill in what they are supposed to and if they do they got back ups at home to use when needed.

$$$MONEY$$$ on the telecheck system is always the quick fire answer as to why it's not in place. Well, I don't buy into it for a second. If you are going down the interstate or main state road and pass under an over pass in Mizzou there is a good chance a game warden is on top looking down. Let there be a doe or buck in the back WITHOUT an applied tag and it's a ticket with serious bite.

Our laws are so across the board that they don't have bite and the reduction of wardens means very few will be caught unless they are legitimately turned in on a tip from someone trespassing to get the low down.

As for "10" does, that's absurd. No hunter needs more than 3 does. If the state deer populations explodes the way they say it will then THANK GOD. Maybe we'll see something from the stand every once in a while. Hunter and I saw a grand total of 4 deer last year. 4!!! And before anyone tells me I'm not a good hunter, I'll take that bet. You, me, head to head on your ground or mine. You'll get your butt handed to you or at best tie me.

And now to the BAITING aspect. I am for one of two things, "Either allow it all, sit right on top of it and hammer down or GET RID OF IT all together." Either have baiting or do not allow it under any circumstance. These feel good regulations, out of sight, beyond X number of yards, etc. are a joke!

- - - Updated - - -

And of the items we debate, you'd best find a lot of someone's with a lot of pull and money if you want them changed b/c they are going to the gold dome!

But a food plot is a placed feed, it's not naturally occurring, it was placed there.
That has nothing to do with it and is not the definition of placed feed when it comes to game management regulations. If I plant a white oak tree it's not 'naturally occuring' either.
Lots of game animals have regulations against placed feed for sound biological reasoning and some folks are also in favor of such regulations for other non-biological reasons. I think they are an unnecessary risk to the health of the herd and also have some public perception/ethical concerns but realize the latter is purely subjective and pointless to debate.

The state deer regulations should be looked at on a COUNTY by COUNTY basis. If a group of counties form a section of the state and they have the same needs with regards to regulations that's fine. Bound them together, name the area, and place regulations on it.

If the Southern Coastal Plains can sustain a 2 bucks, 10 does limit per hunter then go for it.

But the Northwest Foothills might can't sustain but a 1 buck, 2 does limit per hunter due to herd populations and the vast number of hunters in the area and to the area.

One size fits most is throwing crap against the wall and see what sticks!

I know you realize how STUPID our tags are now. There are guys printing out 4 copies of the license. They don't fill in what they are supposed to and if they do they got back ups at home to use when needed.

$$$MONEY$$$ on the telecheck system is always the quick fire answer as to why it's not in place. Well, I don't buy into it for a second. If you are going down the interstate or main state road and pass under an over pass in Mizzou there is a good chance a game warden is on top looking down. Let there be a doe or buck in the back WITHOUT an applied tag and it's a ticket with serious bite.

Our laws are so across the board that they don't have bite and the reduction of wardens means very few will be caught unless they are legitimately turned in on a tip from someone trespassing to get the low down.

As for "10" does, that's absurd. No hunter needs more than 3 does. If the state deer populations explodes the way they say it will then THANK GOD. Maybe we'll see something from the stand every once in a while. Hunter and I saw a grand total of 4 deer last year. 4!!! And before anyone tells me I'm not a good hunter, I'll take that bet. You, me, head to head on your ground or mine. You'll get your butt handed to you or at best tie me.

And now to the BAITING aspect. I am for one of two things, "Either allow it all, sit right on top of it and hammer down or GET RID OF IT all together." Either have baiting or do not allow it under any circumstance. These feel good regulations, out of sight, beyond X number of yards, etc. are a joke!

- - - Updated - - -

And of the items we debate, you'd best find a lot of someone's with a lot of pull and money if you want them changed b/c they are going to the gold dome!

10 does are absurd in some areas, but ideally it should be managed based on the area. I only kill what I need to eat for a year which generally works out to 3 - 4 deer each season, but I am absolutely covered up in doe. I own 20 acres, and I have access to another 100+ around my property. All my cameras show 7 - 8 to 1 doe to buck in the area. I know they hang out on the property because I know where multiple bedding areas are located.

Back
Top Bottom