Anyone asked to serve on a sumbcomittee for the 10 year Deer Management Plan by DNR?

We don't have a legitimate tagging system for deer/turkey to maintain harvest records and enforce bag limits.
We don't have a legitimate wildlife violations mandatory minimum fines and restitution for illegally harvested wildlife.
We don't have the funding to supply the areas of the state with enough conservation officers to patrol, respond to and set up check areas.
We have a "One Size Fits Most" approach to deer hunting bags limits for the state where it might be perfect for Emanuel County but fails horrendously in Haralson County.
We claim that we don't have baiting in the northern zone but in reality we do, just with limitations and feel good regulations.
The fact that we still have a northern / southern deer zone is classically funny.
The approach to allow "Hunting Clubs, Private Land Owners, etc." to govern their own limits and size of bucks to be killed works with large tracts of land but when 2,000 acres of land is broken up into 40 parcels and there are 150 people hunting it the term "Shoot or get left out" takes over.

I could go on for days...

We don't have a legitimate tagging system for deer/turkey to maintain harvest records and enforce bag limits.
We don't have a legitimate wildlife violations mandatory minimum fines and restitution for illegally harvested wildlife.
We don't have the funding to supply the areas of the state with enough conservation officers to patrol, respond to and set up check areas.
We have a "One Size Fits Most" approach to deer hunting bags limits for the state where it might be perfect for Emanuel County but fails horrendously in Haralson County.
We claim that we don't have baiting in the northern zone but in reality we do, just with limitations and feel good regulations.
The fact that we still have a northern / southern deer zone is classically funny.
The approach to allow "Hunting Clubs, Private Land Owners, etc." to govern their own limits and size of bucks to be killed works with large tracts of land but when 2,000 acres of land is broken up into 40 parcels and there are 150 people hunting it the term "Shoot or get left out" takes over.

I could go on for days...
Don't disagree with most any of that but I'm not sure I would expect an input sub committee to address those things and certainly not the things requiring legislative action. But then again I've never been on one so that's why I asked. ;)
What I don't want is this to be a 'show'. I'm ALL FOR public input. If that's just to check a box on a form somewhere though and it isn't used for policy change... well... hunting season will still be open when these meetings are taking place.

You can't leave it like that.... spill it! :cool:
If I'm going to take up to 4 days vacation days to do this, I'd like to not leave with that impression.

I think it's simply smoke and mirrors. The state wants to show that hunter/citizen input was utilized to give forth new laws, outlooks and concerns but in reality it's all political and it has to go through the ringer at the gold dome just to get the RED FISH on the list of sporting fish. Everything is about who has pull that wants what? The farmers with their $$$ and southern legislators pushed and pushed until they got baiting. It wasn't a biologically determined or best interest of the herd decision, it was about who was getting their back scratched for doing it.

I did it, I went to the meetings, I spent time debating but in the end little to nothing really changed.

If the money, desire and political pretense isn't there, nothing will change. When it is there, you can make all the RECOMMENDATIONS in those meetings to go to the DNR you want and it won't stop nothing.

Last edited:
I think it's simply smoke and mirrors. The state wants to show that hunter/citizen input was utilized to give forth new laws, outlooks and concerns but in reality it's all political and it has to go through the ringer at the gold dome just to get the RED FISH on the list of sporting fish. Everything is about who has pull that wants what? The farmers with their $$$ and southern legislators pushed and pushed until they go baiting. It wasn't a biologically determined or best interest of the herd decision, it was about who was getting their back scratched for doing it.

I did it, I went to the meetings, I spent time debating but in the end little to nothing really changed.

If the money, desire and political pretense isn't there, nothing will change. When it is there, you can make all the RECOMMENDATIONS in those meetings to go to the DNR you want and it won't stop nothing.
Well, that's exactly what I would NOT want to participate in. I'm sure I was selected for my vocal opposition to the concept of 'doe days'.

Answer this, in the last 20 years, what MAJOR regulation that has dealt with season, bag limits, deer hunting or turkey hunting has NOT gone through the State Legislature? And of those items brought up, were they brought about due to citizen input / concern or big money pushing legislators to do it b/c they sought re election?

Here's a good one for you, "Why on God's green earth wouldn't we have a tele check & physical tagging system much like most of the mid west states? That's sound logic but no we can't do that but we can reduce the regulations on deer hunting handguns to INCLUDE the .25 ACP!"

When in Mizzou, we were talking to a game warden. He checked us at our truck, was super nice, helpful and inquired as to where we were from. In the conversation we told him we didn't have tags to put on the deer or tags where we called in to report our harvest. He LAUGHED! Yes, he really LAUGHED. His next comment, "Well how in the hell do they know what you've killed, when you killed it, it's particulars, etc.?" We replied, It's all on the honor system. He slapped his knee and said, "That honor system might work for fellas like yourselves but it flies out the window with 75% of the rest of the population."

Back
Top Bottom