• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A Question For Those That Really Do Carry Everyday, Everywhere (Almost)

Depends on the day and where I am going.
XD45 carried at 3:00 in a CB's leatherworks custom OWB Snap holster Or Kangaroo Carry Air marshall 3
XDS45 carried at 4:00 in an Aegis Armory Shield IWB
XD40 with Viridian C5L in Viridian Holster at 3:00

Found an old post on the disadvantages of 6:00 carry:

Disadvantages:
1. Places a hard, metal, unyielding object directly over the spine where a fall can & has caused spinal injury.
I believe the first I heard of this was an article written by Mas Ayoob(?) I believe describing multiple cases where L.E. officers experienced some bad injuries carrying in this manner while off-duty.

2. To draw you have to place your arm in a submission position compromising your ability to fight off an attacker in close quarter's.

3. Slow position from which to draw from, plus most people sweep the entire centerline of their body during the draw sequence.

4. Hard to protect the gun from possible disarm attempts due to lack of leverage & vision. Differs slightly from #2.

5. As mentioned, very uncomfortable for extended periods of sitting. Also extremely difficult to draw from while seated.

6. In advanced training drills, it is about impossible to use the holster to perform one-handed reloads using the holster like you can with one carried strongside.

There are probably couple more that I might remember later.

I have a good friend & one of the better students that I've trained who used to carry this way who now carries at about the 5:00 position, just far enough off the spine to alleviate some of the problems.

An old rule of thumb I used to ( & really still do) go by is that if the vast majority of professionals aren't doing something a certain way... there is probably a reason why.

The ODT can always count on you (and a lot of others) for GREAT insight and practical advice. I appreciate it.

All day every day and the cold weather carry.

Attachments

• EDCI 001 - Copy.jpg
    EDCI 001 - Copy.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 37
  • PICT0120.jpg
    PICT0120.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 38
Glock 19 in a g-code Haley holster, in the appendix position, right up front and center. I carry a glock 17 mag in a pocket holster by DeSantis, either back pocket or front support side every time I leave the house.

Nobody has ever even looked twice.

It doesnt really matter, what ever your comfortable carrying , it is all about what is good for you. i use a leather holster that is not fancy at all and holds most pistols i put in comfortably

Back
Top Bottom