• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A Question For Those That Really Do Carry Everyday, Everywhere (Almost)

Im not sure I would call it "better" but 3-4 is much safer. Excluding the spinal damage, having to reach around under a suit to 6 oclock is a bit laggy.

I've considered ankle, but that has challenges too. Getting the thing off my spine would make for a better day.

I need to sign up for one of Protective Measures classes and find a better setup.

What I'm doing now isn't anything close to ideal but it has kept the weapon discreet.

I've considered ankle, but that has challenges too. Getting the thing off my spine would make for a better day.

I need to sign up for one of Protective Measures classes and find a better setup.

What I'm doing now isn't anything close to ideal but it has kept the weapon discreet.

Also, having to slip your hand/trigger finger in between your weapon and your back can create more issues upon the draw than I think you would want to deal with. Not to mention, the muzzle sweep from 6 oclock is tremendous.

Last edited:
Snub .38
Small nylon fanny pack
Or in cargo pants pocket

I do a lot of stooping , bending, kneeling, etc
No way to keep anything on the waist concealed

Sig 938, Crossbreed Horsehide Supertuck at 4 o'clock position with 2 extra mags on the left hand side. I have to work in everything from office to warehouse and this set-up allows me to stay discrete in either.

Also, having to slip your trigger finger in between your weapon and your back can create more issues upon the draw than I think you would want to deal with. Not to mention, the muzzle sweep from 6 oclock is tremendous.

I present in front of clients about very day where I am drawing on boards, leaning over desks, etc. and must keep my weapon very discrete as my jacket moves around. That's why I pushed it to my back. Although it works great for that issue, it isn't so great for all the reasons you have accurately described.

I'm ready to find a Plan B.

Also, having to slip your trigger finger in between your weapon and your back can create more issues upon the draw than I think you would want to deal with. Not to mention, the muzzle sweep from 6 oclock is tremendous.

Found an old post on the disadvantages of 6:00 carry:

Disadvantages:
1. Places a hard, metal, unyielding object directly over the spine where a fall can & has caused spinal injury.
I believe the first I heard of this was an article written by Mas Ayoob(?) I believe describing multiple cases where L.E. officers experienced some bad injuries carrying in this manner while off-duty.

2. To draw you have to place your arm in a submission position compromising your ability to fight off an attacker in close quarter's.

3. Slow position from which to draw from, plus most people sweep the entire centerline of their body during the draw sequence.

4. Hard to protect the gun from possible disarm attempts due to lack of leverage & vision. Differs slightly from #2.

5. As mentioned, very uncomfortable for extended periods of sitting. Also extremely difficult to draw from while seated.

6. In advanced training drills, it is about impossible to use the holster to perform one-handed reloads using the holster like you can with one carried strongside.

There are probably couple more that I might remember later.

I have a good friend & one of the better students that I've trained who used to carry this way who now carries at about the 5:00 position, just far enough off the spine to alleviate some of the problems.

An old rule of thumb I used to ( & really still do) go by is that if the vast majority of professionals aren't doing something a certain way... there is probably a reason why.

Back
Top Bottom