• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife bought a Big green egg. now what?

I'm just saying what makes it different? I guess it has something to do with it being ceramic? I'm just like why does everyone talk about how the meat taste so much better? It doesn't flavor the meat does it?

I'm just saying what makes it different? I guess it has something to do with it being ceramic? I'm just like why does everyone talk about how the meat taste so much better? It doesn't flavor the meat does it?
What makes it different than a grill is its versatility. If you're just grilling meat at regular temperature there really is not a difference. This type of cooker is well insulated and well sealed so it is very efficient and retains moisture well. This is especially good for long term/indirect cooking/smoking. It makes it easy to keep at a constant temperature without having to adjust all of the time. It can cook vey high temperatures as well as very low temperatures. Can function like a wood oven for things like pizza, can sear meat at over 1000 degrees, or smoke meat for 16 hours without any adjustments or additional fuel. Basically instead of a dedicated smoker, grill, and wood fired oven you can use a komado.

Temperature control through controlling the draft is as good or better than an oven. I can put pork butts on at 11 o'clock at night, adjusted the temp to 250 and at 6 the next morning it is still at 250*. You can choke it down so completely that your charcoal goes out and you can re-use it. As said above, they are versatile, you can cook almost anything on them, from blackening carfish in a skillet to baking a cake.

Mine was made from clay, I have to add wood and lump every 3 hrs. The New Ceramic I have no knowledge of, someone else will have to chime in.

I did an initial fire in it Saturday (To set the gasket) at 350F, it burned about a soft ball size area of charcoal in three hours, crazy small amount and next to zero ash produced

Not only do you not have to add more charcoal put when your done cooking you put the cap back on and that snuffs out the coals then you can relight them next time you want to cook. my friend uses a propane torch to start his but they also make like a heat stick that you can stick into the coals to start them.

No air no fire. It does have to be added to depending on what your cooking but not necessarily every time.

Back
Top Bottom