• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife bought a Big green egg. now what?

You are exactly where I was at. I have a buddy who got a BGE for Christmas last year. He says he still uses propane a lot for quick stuff, but has done butts for birthday parties and they've all been good. My stainless grill was probably $600 or so new about 7-8 years ago. I'm sick of spending that much money for it just to fall apart. I've never used charcoal at all, but for not much more I figured I'd try the Egg. There's not much to fall apart with it and the ceramics are warrantied for life. It should last forever with occasional changes of the gasket and eventually the grate, etc. Spending $200 to replace certain parts on my propane grill didn't make sense.

From everything I've read, Kamado Joe is every bit as good. However, the price was almost identical so I figured I'd go with the Egg. FWIW, I bought the Egg and cast iron plate-setter for $800. I bought an unfinished cypress table from a place in Auburn that makes them for Primo. I'll have a lot in it once the table is sealed, etc. but it should be cool and let me try some things I've never tried before. And again, it's something that should last forever. You could also just buy the Egg for around $700 and find the nest and side-tables second hand for as cheap as $70 on CL. I'm just happy to be excited about something else besides guns!

What size Egg did you get? I was looking at the large.

What size Egg did you get? I was looking at the large.

Yeah, I got the large. I was at a friend's house the other night and he had a medium. That isn't big enough. Large should be good for most everything and is the most popular size. Ace has a deal going on near me with the large BGE in a pine table for $1000. I didn't want to go with a pine table, so I bought from Georgia Spa in Buford and purchased the table separately. I'm sure you could get by with the nest and side-tables, but I figure if I'm going to do it, go big or go home! ;)

One coat of sealant. A few more to go:

20151202_122212.jpg

Last edited:
did you have to assemble the table? Is that the $260 one? looks good

It came assembled. They don't ship, so you have to pick it up in Auburn. They normally only allow pick-up M-TH 9:30-3:30, but they do allow some weekend pick-ups if you work with them. Very professional. They've answered quite a few questions from me post-sale and answered my initial text inquiry within 5 minutes on a Sunday. He said they're the manufacturer for the Primo Kamado tables.

There's a BGE forum that has some good info out there. You can link to it from the main BGE website. I created an account, but they haven't approved me for posting yet. Annoying...

Back
Top Bottom