• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife bought a Big green egg. now what?

So my wife surprised me with a big green egg.(LOVE THIS WOMAN!)
Where can you get accessories at a reasonable price?
Are there alternative organic charcoals out there?
What are your favorite recipes for chicken, chicken wings, steaks, ect...?

Thanks!!!

Did you get a table? I've got a great place to pick one up.

Geez, are you serious?!

I just bought one myself since my propane grill was falling apart. The big selling point of these is maintaining temperature for a very long time. Kamado Joe and Primo are 2 competitors I also researched before I bought. I normally just cook chicken and steak, but I've never been too impressed with how any of it tastes. The Egg should help. I'm looking forward to doing a boston butt for the first time. I bought a table and it's going to take some time to finish putting coats of sealant on it.

Getting one takes some patience initially. It's going to take a week or more to seal the table with multiple coats and then bringing it up to 300 or so a few times to seal the gasket. I know it will be worth it.

I just bought one myself since my propane grill was falling apart. The big selling point of these is maintaining temperature for a very long time. Kamado Joe and Primo are 2 competitors I also researched before I bought. I normally just cook chicken and steak, but I've never been too impressed with how any of it tastes. The Egg should help. I'm looking forward to doing a boston butt for the first time. I bought a table and it's going to take some time to finish putting coats of sealant on it.

I have an older Ducane now thats piped to the house. I use it a ton for convenience but its falling apart. I also have a cousin on the BBQ circuit out in AZ and a few of my older friends have smokers and they all praise smoking. I've never done it but was thinking about getting an electric smoker so I could easy set and forget the temperature. Now that I might have to replace the grill soon and thinking about getting a smoker I was thinking of just getting an egg type grill since its like an all in one but I just thought it was a glorified charcoal grill. I didn't know you could bake stuff and such.

I have an older Ducane now thats piped to the house. I use it a ton for convenience but its falling apart. I also have a cousin on the BBQ circuit out in AZ and a few of my older friends have smokers and they all praise smoking. I've never done it but was thinking about getting an electric smoker so I could easy set and forget the temperature. Now that I might have to replace the grill soon and thinking about getting a smoker I was thinking of just getting an egg type grill since its like an all in one but I just thought it was a glorified charcoal grill. I didn't know you could bake stuff and such.

You are exactly where I was at. I have a buddy who got a BGE for Christmas last year. He says he still uses propane a lot for quick stuff, but has done butts for birthday parties and they've all been good. My stainless grill was probably $600 or so new about 7-8 years ago. I'm sick of spending that much money for it just to fall apart. I've never used charcoal at all, but for not much more I figured I'd try the Egg. There's not much to fall apart with it and the ceramics are warrantied for life. It should last forever with occasional changes of the gasket and eventually the grate, etc. Spending $200 to replace certain parts on my propane grill didn't make sense.

From everything I've read, Kamado Joe is every bit as good. However, the price was almost identical so I figured I'd go with the Egg. FWIW, I bought the Egg and cast iron plate-setter for $800. I bought an unfinished cypress table from a place in Auburn that makes them for Primo. I'll have a lot in it once the table is sealed, etc. but it should be cool and let me try some things I've never tried before. And again, it's something that should last forever. You could also just buy the Egg for around $700 and find the nest and side-tables second hand for as cheap as $70 on CL. I'm just happy to be excited about something else besides guns!

Back
Top Bottom