• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why you should avoid NiB AR BCG’s

NiB is a good plating in many applications, just not on BCG’s.

I have no issues with NiB on AR barrel
extensions. Never seen or heard of it causing an issue there. The Ballistic Advantage Hansen barrels are my favorites in the under-$200-category. Nitrided, NiB barrel extension, and pinned gas block. Make sure to check the port for proper sizing, and the gas block for alignment. Typically sell for $180 or so in the 16” length.

Good post. Thanks for whoever resurrected it. I have one NIB bolt that would lock up if sitting dormant. Extra Lubing helped.
Will avoid them in the future.

Honestly, my main argument against NiB is “not enough good to offset the bad”.

I wish I had kept a log of how many NiB BCG’s I’ve had to repair or replace. Too many to count in my head now.

Still have 2 of the 3 I bought in early 2017. I traded one rifle off. The 2 I kept are still crazy slick with zero failures. One’s in a 7.5 Frankenstein and the other’s in my daughter’s Colt . I can’t honesty tell a difference between them and my BCM or CMMG stuff. I don’t keep guns that malfunction.

Every single AR I own has a Rubber City Enhanced Nitride BCG. I haven't found anything better.
This last Nitride AR-10 BCG from Lantac looks sweet. I am on board with the Nitriding simply because it's not a coating. I believe it would be easier to keep tolerances from part to part closer. NiB the the carrier and bolt has to be undersized and then built back up with the Nickel boron coating. Just seems there would be a lot more room for error there. Hell I don't know for sure but I haven't seen the process from beginning to end so I am just hypothesizing here.

This last Nitride AR-10 BCG from Lantac looks sweet. I am on board with the Nitriding simply because it's not a coating. I believe it would be easier to keep tolerances from part to part closer. NiB the the carrier and bolt has to be undersized and then built back up with the Nickel boron coating. Just seems there would be a lot more room for error there. Hell I don't know for sure but I haven't seen the process from beginning to end so I am just hypothesizing here.

There can be issues with nitriding, as well. On AR15 BCG’s, most of the ones I see with inefficient gas are nitrided. I don’t know if this is an issue on AR10 BCG’s, but definitely an issue on AR15 BCG’s.

Back
Top Bottom