• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why you should avoid NiB AR BCG’s

Sharp gun, BTW. How do you like it so far? I like the LWRC fully ambi lowers.
Haven’t shot it much, but it was on sale for 1600 or 1700 (cant remember exactly) so I figured, why not? I bought the pistol version though and threw on a brace. I like it since its versatile and I like gas-piston rifles despite popular opinion. Now this thread has me second guessing the BCG though. Oh well, now I “have to” get more range time with it :D

I’m left handed too so it stood out a bit to me.

If you have a set of Go-No Go gauges, check the head space. If the headspace is good, keep on running it.

If it isn’t good, check it again with a “known” bolt. If it still isn’t good, the problem is with the barrel.

If the headspace is a Go with the “known’ bolt, but not the NiB bolt, then the problem is with the NiB bolt. Replace it.

If this isn’t a serious-use gun, and it’s running so far, you can just keep on running it until it doesn’t anymore.

Whenever you’re cleaning it, inspect your bolt and carrier for chips and cracks. I do that with all my BCG’s, regardless of what they’re made of or coated with.
Will do. Ill run about five hundred rounds through it next range day for ****s and giggles and pay close attention to its performance. Then Ill inspect internals when I break it down and clean it. I have go to rifles that I already vetted so I wasn’t too worried about this one. Just partially annoyed if I have to replace a BCG on a 2k rifle.

Will do. Ill run about five hundred rounds through it next range day for ****s and giggles and pay close attention to its performance. Then Ill inspect internals when I break it down and clean it. I have go to rifles that I already vetted so I wasn’t too worried about this one. Just partially annoyed if I have to replace a BCG on a 2k rifle.

Been there, done that! Just paid to have a trigger job done on a $2k pistol, and the ‘smith threw out the brand new sear and sear spring and replaced with better.

Yeah, I hope not many folks fell for the NiB not needing lube..total crap. Always lube the gun. I had a broken ejector on my PA10, couldn't move the retaining pin at all, sent it back to PSA, they did replace the bolt and carrier. So far, good to go. Good article on what can happen.

So I now understand the idea that NiB might have some potential issues.

From what I read It seems a lot of these bolt issues with NiB are dimensional? Is the coating wearing off? Does it just not go on or adhere well? Am I totally misunderstanding and following the wrong line of questioning here lol?

I have Toolcraft Nitride 5.56 and Nitride7.62x39 in my spare AR parts bin. Should I worry?
What gauges are you using, Foster?

So I now understand the idea that NiB might have some potential issues.

From what I read It seems a lot of these bolt issues with NiB are dimensional? Is the coating wearing off? Does it just not go on or adhere well? Am I totally misunderstanding and following the wrong line of questioning here lol?

As I understand it, NiB is thick, so it can causes issues with dimensions. I’ve read that some companies will make the part slightly undersized, so the NiB will bulk it out, but that is a bit of a crap shoot and guessing game. The other part is that without proper normalizing after the plating, the NiB process can cause the underlying steel to become brittle.

I have Toolcraft Nitride 5.56 and Nitride7.62x39 in my spare AR parts bin. Should I worry?
What gauges are you using, Foster?

Seen too many issues with nitride bolts and metal cracking and/or chipping. Go ahead and use them if you want, inspect them during cleaning or regularly.

Yes, I’m using Forster.

With all due respect to the OP (and I mean that, I'm not being an ass), there are a bunch of people here running various brands of coated BCGs and other parts with no issues at all. The opinion of a guy on the internet (and I looked up the source of the content you shared and yes, he's a guy on the internet, albeit one who shoots a lot of ARs) should not cause people to rush out and replace their bcg. Particularly if your gun is from a reputable manufacturer like LWRC.

I would venture to guess that 99.9% of the AR owners on this forum are hobbyists who might shoot an intruder if they had to but they're not going to war. Most won't go to war even if the boogaloo started in their own comfortable suburban cu-de-sac. I've been around here a while now and I don't recall many, if any, "my AR isn't firing" or "my bcg is failing" or whatever threads.

Back
Top Bottom