• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is up with folks paying a gunsmith to clean their guns?!

I figure if I can disassemble anything that goes with or on a car , reassemble it and it work correctly, I can do the same with just about any firearm.
I have been a Master Mechanic for over 25yrs…..I have built plenty of carburetors, brakes, engines, transmissions, etc.,
I think I could disassemble and reassemble just about any firearm correctly.
I do believe there are folks out there that can’t screw the lid on a Mason jar correctly though….some folks have no business whatsoever fooling with trying to take apart anything and then putting it back together again ! Lol

Well it really helps to stay organized. Lay out the parts as you take it apart. Make sure they a in order of disassembly so you know where to start with reassembly. If not you have a big jigsaw puzzle laying in front of you.
Thanks but I know all this. For an HK burst pack pictures only do so much when you have to get the counting wheels (probably wrong term - but I'm too lazy to look it up) in the correct order and aligned and you really can't take a good picture because when you start it's in a little box. You have to get all of it aligned in proper position and then insert the take down pins without any of it moving. Maybe you could do it on your first try but I doubt it. I doubt anyone could do it without a manual or step by step pictures but everyone is apparently a master mechanic which I am not.

Try the burst trigger on an M16 first and get back to me. That's easy but not as easy as you would think. Especially the 4 position trigger.

As side note, I ditched my burst pack and went straight SEF. Burst is not needed. If you shoot an MP5 enough you can easily do singles ( there's a technique you have to master and again tribal knowledge), doubles, or triples. That's why just about every picture you see with an MP5 operator ( I use that term to denote professional as in MIL/LEO) is on full auto no matter the situation. Just run the safety to FA and go. This is why some units and in particular LEO chose not to use the MP5. The safety is not ergonomic and is stiff. Most people miss semi-auto and end up on F/A and so the training evolved to take this into account. You can do this under stress too it's just training, practice, and **** ton of ammo. Shoot over to HKPro and check out some of the training courses and horror stories about burst packs.

The P9S is just like model 1897 just smaller and way more springs.

And just to add on. Taking down an HK trigger pack is not part of field disassembly it's an armorer only task. You pull the pack out of the grip module and clean it as is. The reason why most people take them apart is to swap their F/A sear pack to another host weapon which requires changing hammer springs and the ejector. Easier and faster to do with a SEF pack.

7v4ghw.jpg

People should learn how to field strip and maintain their firearms as a basic proficiency tbh. I let people know when a gun comes in that if we are going in it is going to be a detail breakdown and thorough cleaning and ultrasonic cleaning and function check. And take the time to make sure they understand the importance of field stripping and maintaining their guns.

I have a mop bucket too. I will clean their wives and service their guns. 🤣
my wife has cleaned my gun for years now. Blows it out good when she gets through......Then we usually test fire it to see if it still works......I've let several others do it before and they did alright but I think my wife really truly enjoys the job. Enjoying ones work means a lot when getting your gun cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom