• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is up with folks paying a gunsmith to clean their guns?!

I hate cleaning guns, but I like shooting suppressed, so I learn to like cleaning guns.

See before pic of my mp5k trigger pack. I'd almost pay someone to do it next time. I used two cans of brake spray getting the gunk off.... I also have no idea how do disassemble it.
If it's a burst pack never ever take it apart without training and the manual for just that. Putting a burst pack back together can make grown men cry. Even swapping hammer springs is a bitch. To learn the intricacies of a burst pack take some training with Teufelshund Tactical . His armorer and other classes are awesome and he is a great instructor. He also does armorer work on HK stuff. I need send my P9S to him. Talk about a pain to take down and you need 3 or 4 hands to change the buffer in it and you must have a good buffer or you crack the frame and then your screwed.

SEF is easy to take apart and swap springs. It is a PITA ( especially with an FA sear since those are not a standard part) to put together but not like a burst pack. HK USA in Columbus offers civilian training on most of their weapons including the SP5. They don't however teach burst pack to civilians. Crap German laws on "weapons of war" is the reason. The classes are great and you get special pricing on one HK firearm at the completion of the class. You have it to order it though as they don't have them in stock. You will learn ton of stuff and history of the MP5 as well as going through the gray room to see some amazing stuff.

I do use an ultrasonic on mine and once my SD is finished it will definitely go in the ultrasonic tank. SDs get down right nasty.

As pointed out, I use cleaning as a time to inspect all parts and check springs, etc. Easy way to check springs is to have a spare on hand and compare the length of the two springs. Not scientific by any means but it has worked for me.

If it's a burst pack never ever take it apart without training and the manual for just that. Putting a burst pack back together can make grown men cry. Even swapping hammer springs is a bitch. To learn the intricacies of a burst pack take some training with Teufelshund Tactical . His armorer and other classes are awesome and he is a great instructor. He also does armorer work on HK stuff. I need send my P9S to him. Talk about a pain to take down and you need 3 or 4 hands to change the buffer in it and you must have a good buffer or you crack the frame and then your screwed.

SEF is easy to take apart and swap springs. It is a PITA ( especially with an FA sear since those are not a standard part) to put together but not like a burst pack. HK USA in Columbus offers civilian training on most of their weapons including the SP5. They don't however teach burst pack to civilians. Crap German laws on "weapons of war" is the reason. The classes are great and you get special pricing on one HK firearm at the completion of the class. You have it to order it though as they don't have them in stock. You will learn ton of stuff and history of the MP5 as well as going through the gray room to see some amazing stuff.

I do use an ultrasonic on mine and once my SD is finished it will definitely go in the ultrasonic tank. SDs get down right nasty.

As pointed out, I use cleaning as a time to inspect all parts and check springs, etc. Easy way to check springs is to have a spare on hand and compare the length of the two springs. Not scientific by any means but it has worked for me.
Hella good info! Ill get signed up for a class. I have the sp5 and the sp5k-pdw and I beat **** out of them!

FEAR! It's the one thing that keeps a common man from trying anything ( mechanically related to begin with.

Yeah, I guess so, but c'mon. It's not like you're storming the machine gun nests on Pointe du Hoc.

First gun I decided to completely strip was a Beretta Vertec 92FS, because I needed the frame cerakoted. I know - easy gun, but still. My daughter asked if I could teach her, and then she put (most) of it back together.

Yeah, she's a bit more practically-minded than a lot of kids her age were, but really - what's to fear? As long as you don't lose any of the bits, worst case is you have to beg a friend to put the thing back together or pay some guy like cmshoot cmshoot to do it.

FEAR! It's the one thing that keeps a common man from trying anything ( mechanically related to begin with.
I remember those days. "What if I **** up this $500 Glock by cleaning it?"
Now it's like "Well let's dig into this obscure $2k firearm that has virtually no instructions and figure it out or learn a very hard lesson." 😂

I remember those days. "What if I **** up this $500 Glock by cleaning it?"
Now it's like "Well let's dig into this obscure $2k firearm that has virtually no instructions and figure it out or learn a very hard lesson."

The first time I reassembled a Winchester model 97 shotgun from a box of parts I had limited resources but “figured” it out, ordered or made or found missing pieces, and it ran like a dream. An older gunsmith I know asked if I knew why it was called a model “97”?
“Because there are 97 freaking parts inside that thing!”

Back
Top Bottom