• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is up with folks paying a gunsmith to clean their guns?!

I'm wondering how many of these folks are new shooters.

Field stripping and cleaning almost any modern gun is extremely simple, and once you've done it a few times there's no mystery. But if you've never done it before I could see wanting some help.

Still, that's pretty much free on YouTube these days. I guess it's more of a time vs. money thing for some people.

Yup, I have friends who say its not important to clean your weapons, I'm like you lazy bastard don't ever try to sell me one of your guns. Many of them talk about AK-47's not needing cleaning, I'm like your .9mm handgun is NOT a AK-47. If, I get a weapon, I don't know how to use, I go to You-Tube and look at the videos on how to do it.

I'm wondering how many of these folks are new shooters.

Field stripping and cleaning almost any modern gun is extremely simple, and once you've done it a few times there's no mystery. But if you've never done it before I could see wanting some help.

Still, that's pretty much free on YouTube these days. I guess it's more of a time vs. money thing for some people.

I'm always happy to show customers field stripping for free. I tell them that if I show you, and you do it at least once with me, you can watch a YouTube video whenever you need and it will make more sense.

That's part of it.

For me, the main part is I want to be as familiar as possible with my firearms, and I want to inspect them regularly. I've never gonna use my lawn to protect myself or my family.
Isn't your lawn full of poop-covered caltrops? C'mon man! lol

c89054b8133ac7e923ca44f34812dca4b5375d2e8942cb3dc0364d8e76964a83_1.webp

That's part of it.

For me, the main part is I want to be as familiar as possible with my firearms, and I want to inspect them regularly. I've never gonna use my lawn to protect myself or my family.

Cleaning a gun yourself vs. paying someone (competent) to clean your gun probably isn't a statistically relevant in terms of actual gun use. I wonder how many gang bangers in Chicago clean their guns? And yet they shoot each other with frightening regularity.

I clean my own guns. I don't kid myself that it is anything more than a matter of personal pride and interest in guns.

P.S. Just finished cutting the lawn. Probably one of the most dangerous things I do on a regular basis: Zero turn with lots of uneven terrain. Sneeze at the wrong moment and one can end up in a ditch with a 700 pound machine on top. Hopefully the blades stop before everything ends up in final position.

Back
Top Bottom