• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is up with folks paying a gunsmith to clean their guns?!

Cleaning a gun yourself vs. paying someone (competent) to clean your gun probably isn't a statistically relevant in terms of actual gun use. I wonder how many gang bangers in Chicago clean their guns? And yet they shoot each other with frightening regularity.

I clean my own guns. I don't kid myself that it is anything more than a matter of personal pride and interest in guns.

P.S. Just finished cutting the lawn. Probably one of the most dangerous things I do on a regular basis: Zero turn with lots of uneven terrain. Sneeze at the wrong moment and one can end up in a ditch with a 700 pound machine on top. Hopefully the blades stop before everything ends up in final position.

You missed my point, and it is absolutely relevant in terms of actually using that firearm to defend yourself.

Familiar with, as in terms of what kind of shape it is in, does anything thing replaced, rebuilt, etc.

I worked street gangs for many years. Care to guess how often one gangbanger tries to shoot someone, and their gun won't fire? Or how many times I've taken a loaded gun off a gangbanger that I could tell from a visual inspection and function check would not fire?

If a gun owner isn't competent enough to clean their own guns, I seriously question their abilities with that firearm. The training is out there. Get trained, or sell your guns and take up golf instead.

Customer came in the shop yesterday with a G17. Carries it daily, hasn't shot it in quite some time.

Gun counter employee couldn't get the slide back without exerting considerable force.

Brought it back to me. Rust on all 4 frame rails. Rust on the sights. Rust on the inside of the slide. Rust on the outside of the barrel, at several points where it contacts the slide. More lint inside the firearm than I have ever seen in my life.

If he had to use to defend himself, it would probably fire, but only once. Not only would the slide not have cycled, he couldn't not have cleared that malfunction in a timely manner. Even if he did, it would malfunction after every shot.

Dude bought a good gun, and never maintained it. With a minimal amount of training, and $20 in cleaning gear/lube/solvent, you can keep a Glock running indefinitely.

At TruPrep, we teach free classes for first time, or novice, gun owners. Safety, how to function your firearm, load/unload, disassemble/reassemble, clean/lubricate/inspect, store safely in your home. We have one for handguns, one for AR's, and one for shotguns. They're all absolutely free.

If you choose to carry a firearm for self-defense, it would make sense that you be able to keep that firearm functioning. I don't care if it's clean, but it's gotta function.

It's one thing if someone brings in their Grandad's Belgian-made Browning Sweet Sixteen for complete disassembly, cleaning, lubing, and reassembly. On firearms like that, I totally get it. But, if you look back at Post #1, what I specifically mention are firearms such as Glocks, AR's, and AK's. The type of guns that folks carry on their person, in their vehicle, or keep loaded at home for SD .

Younger generation no mechanical skills if ain’t got joy stick they out luck

That's because nothing out there is really mechanical anymore... Even 30 years ago cars still needed mostly mechanical knowledge to work on them. These days it seems like the issue almost always comes down to computers or electronics of some sort.

Guns are probably one of the last purely mechanical systems still around today, and even there it's changing pretty rapidly.

I hate cleaning guns, but I like shooting suppressed, so I learn to like cleaning guns.

See before pic of my mp5k trigger pack. I'd almost pay someone to do it next time. I used two cans of brake spray getting the gunk off.... I also have no idea how do disassemble it.

Attachments

• 20230716_101004.jpg
    20230716_101004.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 28
I hate cleaning guns, but I like shooting suppressed, so I learn to like cleaning guns.

See before pic of my mp5k trigger pack. I'd almost pay someone to do it next time. I used two cans of brake spray getting the gunk off.... I also have no idea how do disassemble it.

That's what an ultrasonic tank is for.

That's what an ultrasonic tank is for.

BHPSteel BHPSteel Is 100% correct. Get a cheap Harbor freight one if you don't see yourself using it often. But it will clean your cans and the wife's jewelry too...

Bring it by the shop and I can throw it in the ultrasonic tank. It’ll be spotless in 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom