• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is up with folks paying a gunsmith to clean their guns?!

The time I spend cleaning guns is time I can't be doing Armorer/gunsmith work. I have to price it so, or it wouldn't make any sense for me to do it.

The fluid I use for the ultrasonic tank ain't cheap. Cheaper fluids run a risk of damaging aluminum or polymer, so I use pricier stuff.
Which fluid do you use ?

I have a lot of customers who pay me to clean their guns. I am willing to go "total disassemble", as opposed to a simple field strip that most will do. One guy goes on a few exotic hunting trips each year. I get his collection after he's done with that season. Others are competition shooters who want a hard clean before the beginning of their match season.

I find that varnished lubricants are the main thing coming out of the guns (usually WD-40 residue), along with a ton of plastic fouling on shotguns.

I don't charge much because it's usually simple work ($25 for most; complicated ones can run up to $45 or so.). I don't think that's unreasonable for "once-a-year love". You pay much more than that to a mechanic for car maintenance.

My father taught me how to strip our shotgun down to clean it when I was old enough to shoot. I think it was about 10 years old. Kids those days were much more attentive.
Now you can't get one off the phone or X-Box long enough to teach them how to wipe their ass. One of my son's was playing games and didn't feel like going up stairs to take a dump. I walked out to let the dog out back and there was a 9 inch deuce just laying out in the open. No! No toilet paper either. I went inside and started throwing **** around the basement. I was infuriated. It was laying just off the concrete pad. It was funny as hell but I had to put in a good show of force in order not to support that behavior ever again. I knew right then, to early to teach them to shoot!

WTF ??!!
I would have to say something about that ! There is no way in hell I could ever put up with that !!
Oh! Believe me I raised hell about that. They were only 10 & 7 years old. Still it is Neanderthal behavior! Needless to say it never happened again. They were really good kids over all. We always got compliments on how well behaved they were. They had thier moments but overall God blessed me with two wonderful boys.

there was a 9 inch deuce just laying out in the open. No! No toilet paper either. I went inside and started throwing **** around the basement.
You were throwing the kid's 9" pos around the basement? Should've made him it eat it like a baby ruth or smear it all over and in whatever game machine that was. Bet he would have figured out to fix that **** quickly. Pun intended :rofl:

I have paid a gunsmith to clean my Ruger .44 carbine.....I just don't choose to mess with it!!
I have NO issues with the remainder of my guns....just do not like the way that gun looks....I know I'd screw up something

Back
Top Bottom