• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is up with folks paying a gunsmith to clean their guns?!

You can cut grass at 3am just put lights on mower plus it’s cooler outside.

I don't have headlights on my mower, and ain't buying 'em.

It's a noise ordnance violation at 3am, and against the covenants.

So, no, ain't mowing my lawn at 3am.

I can clean my guns in the comfort/heating/AC of my home at 3am with absolutely no worries.

I don't have headlights on my mower, and ain't buying 'em.

It's a noise ordnance violation at 3am, and against the covenants.

So, no, ain't mowing my lawn at 3am.

I can clean my guns in the comfort/heating/AC of my home at 3am with absolutely no worries.
Until you open that bottle of Montana extreme and everyone in the house is woke up from all the hair burnt out their nose at 3:01am

I’m talking about simple field stripping of Glocks, AR’s, AK’s, etc. No tools or mechanical aptitude necessary. The same level of disassembly that GED-totin’, scored 50 on the ASVAB, US Army recruits can do.
I went and took that ASVAB test for the Marines. They told everyone they could go and and told two of us to stick around for just a few minutes. They offered me the world after that that test. I wanted to be a jet mechanic and they told me I could pick what state I wanted to do my training in with a 15,000 signing bonus. I told them I would have to think about a 6 year commitment before doing it. After speaking to a former marine he said " That promise made by recruiters will end up being mowing the grass outside of a fence looking in on the airfield. ". 🤣😂😁 Although I regret not doing it, my mom broke into tears and balled for three days because I told her I had taken the test and I was going to do it. So to ease my moms suffering I didn't do it.

Well, there's a lot of 1911s with "idiot marks".

And, I've related this before, but there was a young man in NE Ga that took his AR to a gunsmith because it kept "jamming up". He was using PAM Non-stick food spray to lube his rifle.

To me it's the old adage of "if you want something done right, do it yourself". If we're talking about a self defense weapon, carry or home, I really think you oughta know how to clean it yourself.

The lawn mower / oil change simile / metafor just rides on parallel rails. Some people go to Jiffy Lube or Wal Mart for oil changes, and even dealers can screw up. And some folks live in neighborhoods where the HOA (cough cough) won't let you change your oil in the driveway. My Father In-Law was really upset when he could no longer do the basic maintenance on his car when he contracted a terminal neuromuscular disorder.

In the end, if you want the certainty that:
Your wife is satisfied,
Your guns will fire when needed,
Your car is full of oil and won't hemorrhage same all over the street,
and Your lawn is mowed and the lawn guy isn't messing with your wife,
Do all these things yourself.
Time and ability available.

Everyone makes choices.
Just don't make choices that endanger your life.

I/we clean my own gun, mow my own grass, wash and wax our own cars, cook our own meals, clean our own house, etc. Sure takes a lot of time but saves a heap of dough and the results are usually better than paying the man.
shame it’s usually cheaper to have a garage change your oil nowadays. I used to enjoy it.

I have been reading some articles lately where first time gun owners who took shooting classes could not disassemble there own pistols at the range , and when asked how they had owned the firearm for over a year and reportedly went to the range twice a week they said the man at the range cleans everybody's guns right ?

Back
Top Bottom