• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What did you do to better your prep today?

Picked green beans, and will can tomorrow. Picked figs and will slice and dehydrate and vacuum seal. Picked assorted peppers and will dehydrate some and freeze some and pickle some of the hot ones. Picked tomatoes and will can. Picked okra and will eat some and can some. Need to plow some more and plant a variety of greens. The garden's killin' me.

Got a new food dehydrator.....and picked up a machete at Walmat for $7.00.......the handle is crap plastic and it's about as sharp as a butter knife, but for $7.00 no worries.......I can put an edge on it no problem and will remove the plastic handle and either make a good wood handle or make a nice paracord wrap.....came with a cheap sheath too.

The power went out in our neighborhood after a recent thunderstorm. It stayed out a few hours so I decided to fire up the Generator to test how easy it was to use.

Lessons Learned:
1. My extension cords were a mess and not stored in a manner that they were easy to unroll.
2. I have used some of my stored gasoline for the lawnmower because I'm too lazy to go to the store.
3. The Garage Door must be manually opened to get the Generator outside so I can turn it on.
4. I need to install a bypass system so the Generator can hook straight into the breaker box. No need for Extension Cords then.
5. While the Computer can come back online, the DSL (Internet connection) does not come on when the power is out. The DSL Switching station down the road from my house is powered by the same power grid that powers my house. The only internet available is on my Cell Phone.
6. I don't have enough Candles.
7. In order to put the garage door back down, I have to power it up with the Generator, thus leaving the Generator outside the garage door until our power is restored... Even if we leave the house for a while... Catch 22.
8. We have enough hot water for a couple showers left in the water heater. Go ahead and get your shower quickly if you need one before the water cools down. Hooking the Generator straight to the breaker box would eliminate this problem.
9. I have to leave a door cracked to get the Extension cord into the house. (Yet another reason to install a bypass system at the breaker box (On the outside of the house)

Back
Top Bottom