• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What did you do to better your prep today?

Could you explaine about silent power? A generator with a large 400 gallion pig tank hook up will last awhile but will stick out like a turd in a punch bowel.

Honda generators. They are quiet but pricey, You can also go solar, geothermal, or wind turbine

Yeah, I was specifically thinking about solar when I posted that. It was in response to TacticalTaco. Generators are more point of use and powerful but they are both loud and limited by fuel. Solar provides slower, less instant power but is a long term, renewable source and maes zero noise to attract marauders.

I think in a post SHTF world the smart man will be using power for very few needs only, not squanering it lighting up the whole house and washing clothes. For the vital needs a solar array on the roof and storage batteries will provide all you will ever need(NEED, not want).

As for a quiet generator...it's really a contradiction in terms. Any combustion engine is relatively loud. I think of sound like light in one respect. In the total absense of man made light or sound it will become significantly more obvious to everyone. Right now we don't even register a street light in the distance at night or the sound of a car going by. But after a week or so of NEVER seeing electric light or hearing a combustion engine, the slightest hint is going to be like a search light beacon pointing to someone with electricity to burn.

If the SHTF, I'm going total blackout and total noise discipline. There will be no lights, not even candles in the upper level of my house and no man made noises.

Windmill doesn't seem as practical to me as solar although I image cobbling a system together would be possible whereas "cobbling" solar panels is clearly out. Any car generator or even the generator portion of a generator, belt driven by a windmill should be a viable source. This article says that a windmill doesn't turn fast enough but it seems to me that increasing the pully ration should overcome that.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7657837_use-alternator-make-electricity.html

I tihnk MREs have thier place in the food stores but for real long term I usually store freeze dried like Chef's Banquet.I guess I retain enough optimism to HOPE that I won't be needing my prep food before MRE's would expire. Whech would mean I'd be eating MRE's just to keep them from going to waste.

At about $100 for a 30 day supply, the Chef's Banquet is also a much more economical alternative.

Here's an article on MRE shelf life/temperatures:

http://www.baproducts.com/mreinfo.htm

Speaking of bettering your prep, if anyone is interested in joining a running group in the Atlanta/Decatur area shoot me a pm. I am in a running group that has sections for all skill levels from couch potatoes to elite level athletes.

Started the ball rolling to buy some more of the woods beside my house. On the other side of the road its WMA so I want to keep these woods pristine for the lake that draws the critters over here. Y'all pray or cross your fingers or some thing for me. Thanks

This thread got wild. Sorry I missed it. James Doh lol. What an ass he was.

- - - Updated - - -

I really need to start prepping.

I just got an awesome Sierra backpack for under $35 on Amazon (and I'm not one to skimp on quality for price) a hand crank weather radio/phone charger, stainless steel mug, 100' paracord, a knife sharpener, and some batteries.

Here's the link to the backpack...its awesome, may built nearly as well as my $150 Mammut, and with more useful pockets. Great pack, highly recommended and not too tactical looking.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OZCDGK/ref=oh_details_o04_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered some MSR Style self Igniting pocket Rockets
images

Good stoves. I love my Whisperlite stove. Runs on just about any fuel I can get my hands on. Gas, kerosene, jet fuel

Back
Top Bottom