• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What did you do to better your prep today?

Gardening is an awesome way to prep. Most folks put up seeds and assume they will just start a garden when they need it.
Learning what works and doesn't work now will be knowledge that will serve you more than you could imagine WHEN the SHTF.
It would really suck for your first crop to be a flop or the insects eat it when you need it to survive the month.
Old Folks don't grow the best gardens just because they have time to. They have the knowledge.........

Yep. Been gardening about as long as I've been shooting. There is a lot to learn, mostly from experience. Also, the soil gets better each year as you work more organic material in. Definitely not something to start in an emergency. Also, provides food to freeze and can.

Ordered some MSR Style self Igniting pocket Rockets
images

Since I'm still in the early stage, I picked up two cans of ravioli and a case of bottled water when shopping today. My wife usually keeps the pantry fairly stocked, but we now have 24 gallons of bottled water for ourselves and our two small kids. It's a start.

Good first step. Keep an eye on your "Best by" and expiration dates. Acidic foods like tomatos and foods with tomato sauces usually don't store as long as less acidic foods, beand, peas, corn or even meats, tuna, corned beef, canned chicken. Adding an extra can or two of what you already use is a great way to keep your food rotated while accumulating more for emergencies.

With water, city tap water is a good safe bet since it has a residual chlorine level by law and is far cheaper than pre-bottled water which has NO chlorine in it. Again, watch your best by and expiration dates. Bottle water can over long term be less safe than city or home chlorinated water stored in potable water storage containers. I store my basic water in Aquatainers I bought at WalMart sporting goods. I think the price went up since I bought mine but I've been storing in them for 2 years now, I just dump, rinse and refill every 6 months(don't NEED to rotate that often but it never hurts).

If you have a well make sure you add chlorine before storing or you may open the container to green water.

Grats on starting. Sometimes I just like to go into my store room and smile...then I end up thinking of all the things I still need to get and stop smiling....grumble, grumble... ;)

Have you done anything with Wisteria vines? They are very tough.

I have used vines in the woods for stuff but I have always screwed up on making cordage and couldn't get it to come out right. I got it right today including the splice to add length instead of just making a 3" piece. Then I went from 2strand to 4strand, so next I'll make a few long pieces and see it I can get 8 strand. I am surprised how strong this stuff is (its just grass) when its done right.

Back
Top Bottom