Thinking about getting a motorcycle.

My first bike (other than a mini bike) was a kawi 650 cruiser. Get a cheap light cruiser with a small engine that is easy to handle at low speeds.
Ive owned BMW touring, Goldwing, Harley Street Glide and this is what I ride now. Its the best of all the ones Ive ridden.

View attachment 205769

man, i had a 82 nighthawk 750 and that thing slung me back and would wheelie relativly easy, and im 6 foot 4 250 pounds. i would stay 750 or under if you get a 2000 or older bike, 600 or under for 2000 and newer (if your going sport bike). my 2 cents.

My Nighthawk was '03 750, and yes it was very capable of pulling the front wheel up. :) Here's a pic for reference. My Nighthawk and my current ride the Hornet.
Nighthawk.jpg
20130525_131657_compressed.jpg

I agree with most in buying something simple and cheap for a first bike. If/when you drop it, you won't be out a ton of money. Cut your teeth for a season or two and make sure it's what you really want.

My first bike was an 89 Suzuki GS500 and it was wonderful. Easy to handle and manage. Enough power to get into trouble if I wanted to but not so much that I'd be I trouble if I goofed. I still miss that bike.

I've owned everything from sport bikes to naked bikes to cruisers. Just about my overall favorite was my 08 FZ6. Comfy and very capable.

My current bike is a 03 Mean Streak and while it's an incredible bike, I'll be selling it for a larger cruiser next season most likely. (just my preference, the bike is phenomenal)

Again, start cheap and work your way up. Check craigslist and buy a decent starter bike. You don't have to keep it, just grow with it. Take a MSF class for sure. Always ride your own speed and never worry about keeping up with others. It's not how fast you get there, it's how you get there.

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_07_01_aha2agu4.jpg

I have not read every response to this thread so forgive me if this is a repeat. ABSOLUTELY do get training. I have been riding all my life and own 15+ bikes. I always recommend the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) beginner course. They have a 3 day class and on the third day you take the written and riding tests and leave with your license. They provide the motorcycle and you usually can get an insurance discount for taking the class. If you do not take the MSF course please get training somewhere even if you already know how to ride. http://www.msf-campus.org/CourseLocations.aspx As for the type of bike I would not focus too much on that at first. Take a safe riding course, get your license and then get a small displacement, used, bike. Cheap to buy, easy to sell and you won't cry nearly as hard if you happen to have a parking lot tip over. As you get comfortable you will start to learn what you are going to use a bike for and that will determine what you buy. Good luck to you.

I have not read every response to this thread so forgive me if this is a repeat. ABSOLUTELY do get training. I have been riding all my life and own 15+ bikes. I always recommend the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) beginner course. They have a 3 day class and on the third day you take the written and riding tests and leave with your license. They provide the motorcycle and you usually can get an insurance discount for taking the class. If you do not take the MSF course please get training somewhere even if you already know how to ride. http://www.msf-campus.org/CourseLocations.aspx As for the type of bike I would not focus too much on that at first. Take a safe riding course, get your license and then get a small displacement, used, bike. Cheap to buy, easy to sell and you won't cry nearly as hard if you happen to have a parking lot tip over. As you get comfortable you will start to learn what you are going to use a bike for and that will determine what you buy. Good luck to you.

Good advice.

And you win the award for most Feedbacks with least amount of posts. :D Contact hasselhoss for your prize.

I strongly suggest that you do not finance your first bike.
For me I have always like suzuki. I am 5'11" and 230lbs. Suzuki has a wider stance than others and just fits right for me.
As for you back it may bother you on a rocket or it may not. I have herniated disks in my back and I am in pain when I ride a cruiser. A rocket feels great and I can literally ride for days. Your wrists will hurt until you get used to it.
As for a starter bike it will be up to you and your experience. If you have never rode even a dirt bike get something small and cheap that you can putt around town on and learn the fundamentals.

ALWAYS expect the four wheelers near you to do something stupid. ALWAYS anticipate the worst and have a way out. ALWAYS ride as if nobody can see you. Braking is not always your best option, that car behind you will not stop as fast as you will. I have avoided many accidents with a twist of the wrist.
Most recent was the summer before last. Coming home from work north on 85 leaving Norcross. 70-75mph and as the crest of the hill approached all traffic was stopped. I could have slowed and stopped without hitting the vehicles in front of me but I knew the pickup behind me would not have stopped and I would be ground meat. Dropped two gears and full throttle to the HOV lane. Looked in my mirror and seen that pickup sideways with a lot of smoke and then a huge plume of debris.

A good friend of mine was hit a week or two ago in the mountains. A woman got tired of waiting on the red light and gunned it. Ricky saw her and hit the gas. She hit the passenger peg instead of his leg. He is lucky lucky lucky.

not for a beginner!
but for sale
01 Honda rc51
i42.tinypic.com_dphl04.jpg

riding dirt is just as dangerous.son been racing since 5 years old.now 18 dirt can bite just as fast as the road many injuries on the dirtbike!
250 ninja would be good to learn on.if uve never been on a bike a r6 has more power then u need

Last edited:
The best Motorcycle Safety Foundation course location is Honda Training Center in Alpharetta. They have two dedicated courses and excellent trainers. If you've never ridden or are coming back to bikes, then you NEED this course. Besides, it gets you a 10% discount on insurance. The majority of fatalities on motorcycles are in order DUI, or inexperience related and many young riders killed on bike are not even licensed. If this is your first bike, go for a clean used bike, not too big, because you will eventually drop it and you really don't want to prang a new bike, especially with all the Tupperwear they put on them now. I always suggest a new rider start out on the dirt. You'll learn throttle and clutch control much better. The Honda Center also does dirt training. I've never purchased from WOW but I've had friends do so and no problems. Whatever you do, park the testosterone at home for a while. I don't know how old you are but impetuous youth has no place on two wheels.

TCARS - Take care and ride safely

Back
Top Bottom