• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking about buying an RV and traveling the country...............Well that lasted about 5 minutes

Each year I buy a "Traveler`s Guide to Firearms Carry in all 50 States". I check it before entering any state. I never enter a state that doesn`t honor my GA license. I spent a week last year in an area near the New Mexico border. I never entered NM due to their not recognizing GA. Actually, I could have open-carried in NM legally, but that ain`t my bag, either. I`ve seen a lot of the world, so missing NM ain`t a big deal.

I thought about this for a long time. Friend of mine has a RV built by Blue Bird that has a 600 HP diesel, two slides, and a hot tub inside. Claims out west, he has had it up to 120 MPH.

Little out of my range, but the call of the open road is attractive. I've traveled a fair amount, did the hostel thing back in the day.

After I put the pencil to the paper, decided I could drive to where I wanted to go, stay in a nice hotel, eat in a nice restaurant, and hit the open road the next day - for less money.

Now I know a couple of couples that spend 200 days a year or more on the road, the other days in one of the kids drive ways, and they are happy as clams.

We added up the cost of a 4wheel drive Dually pickup truck $70K and a 5th wheel camper $50K and insurance and taxes and the RV spot campsite costs and storage and maintainence and depreciation of the truck/camper value and we decided that for $100-150,000.Thousand Dollars
we could just take $20K dream vacations every year for the next 5-8 years
with none of the hassles.

I may have to consider that before taking the plunge.
Forget all that. Consider fuel costs. Not to mention it costs as much to stay in most campgrounds as it does a nice hotel. And you don't have to drain the turds out in a hotel. Get a nice comfortable car and hit the road. There's a Super 8 or Motel 6 damn near anywhere you wanna go.

Forget all that. Consider fuel costs. Not to mention it costs as much to stay in most campgrounds as it does a nice hotel. And you don't have to drain the turds out in a hotel. Get a nice comfortable car and hit the road. There's a Super 8 or Motel 6 damn near anywhere you wanna go.

we averaged just over 48 bucks a night for camping fees on our trip. The least expensive was in Nebraska at $12 a night at a state park. The most expensive was $109 a night at a KOA campground in New Mexico. If there are only 2 people traveling, it makes the hotel costs a lot closer, but when you have 4, it tends to make the hotel prices soar.

And there is something to be said about sleeping in your own bed every night instead of wondering if the maid changed the sheets before you checked in.

So here is the question......WTF Do I do with my class 3 NFA toys? And can I carry a smith 629 classic for self defense across most of the country minus New York and Chicago and any uppity type places that don't allow firearms cause I won't be going to any of those places?

Can I for example Carry my 629 in the RV to Yellowstone in the park? Or do I have to travel the country with a sling shot?
Can’t answer all the questions but as for the NFA items, feel free to throw me on your trust and I’ll babysit them. :cool:

Get a senior golden age pass from the COE and that campgrounds are half price as long as they are Federally run parks. $12 a night with power and water ain't a bad deal.

Back
Top Bottom