• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking about buying an RV and traveling the country...............Well that lasted about 5 minutes

Years ago we flew from NJ to Seattle, rented an RV in Tacoma and drove down to San Diego. it was a great trip but we broke it up a little and stayed in a hotel in San Fran and LA since we were sight seeing. I love road trips and RVing and now I'm into overlanding but I dont know if I could do it all day every day.

Bypass Bypass you can always bring me your safe and toys you want to keep and store them at my house. Come by whenever and get what you want/drop off anything you want to swap.
You can claim my address as yours.... i could overnight any meds you need.

if you decide to go, get a US Park Pass. If you are over 62 you can get a lifetime pass. It will pay for itself many times over when you start hitting those federal parks. I think it was $35 a car to get into Grand Canyon, and $30 or $35 to get into Zion. Then Yellowstone was $40 or so, and a few other parks.

well worth ordering, and it is good for a year. Unless you are over 62

https://usparkpass.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItMXXldOC5AIVEv_jBx07wQz1EAAYASAAEgLOK_D_BwE

We (wife and I) just did 15 days/5923 miles/ 17 States in a rental van to Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon and points in between (and beyond). When I came to Illinois (KY, IL, MO) just before crossing Mississippi River,I dropped my hi cap mag from handgun and put firearm and mag in a lockable pistol safe. Did same driving thru New Mexico as those were only 2 States not honoring GA Weapons (Carry) License. Most (if not all) Federal Parks (Mt. Rushmore, etc.) follow the host State's policy on concealed carry, although the Gift Shop at Yellowstone and some other place was POSTED. I would have died driving an RV. So much road construction (both Interstate and local roads) where you are driving North in one lane and oncoming Southbound traffic is in next lane, separated by concrete barriers and cones/barrels on shoulder. Pucker factor at night at >60mph, thankfully no rain.) High winds thruout South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana where speed limit is 80mph on Interstates, and I saw plenty of RVs and 18 wheelers swaying - a lot. (DO NOT GO 81 MPH!)

We (wife and I) just did 15 days/5923 miles/ 17 States in a rental van to Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon and points in between (and beyond). When I came to Illinois (KY, IL, MO) just before crossing Mississippi River,I dropped my hi cap mag from handgun and put firearm and mag in a lockable pistol safe. Did same driving thru New Mexico as those were only 2 States not honoring GA Weapons (Carry) License. Most (if not all) Federal Parks (Mt. Rushmore, etc.) follow the host State's policy on concealed carry, although the Gift Shop at Yellowstone and some other place was POSTED. I would have died driving an RV. So much road construction (both Interstate and local roads) where you are driving North in one lane and oncoming Southbound traffic is in next lane, separated by concrete barriers and cones/barrels on shoulder. Pucker factor at night at >60mph, thankfully no rain.) High winds thruout South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana where speed limit is 80mph on Interstates, and I saw plenty of RVs and 18 wheelers swaying - a lot. (DO NOT GO 81 MPH!)

does the wind ever not blow in South Dakota? We were in SD for 5 days, and I don't think there was over 5 minutes the wind wasn't above 30 mph. Couldn't even put the canopy out on the camper. The wind would flop it around and rip it off if you tried.

Forget all that. Consider fuel costs. Not to mention it costs as much to stay in most campgrounds as it does a nice hotel. And you don't have to drain the turds out in a hotel. Get a nice comfortable car and hit the road. There's a Super 8 or Motel 6 damn near anywhere you wanna go.

do you consider super 8 and motel 6 nice hotels?

I personally like Rving. Fuel costs are higher, but when you want to stop, you stop. I pull a Jeep TJ. I bring my dog. My wife likes it as well. But there is a lot of work involved.
Rent one first. And plan trips within 5 hours. There are tons of cool things to see and do nearby. If you really want to camp Yellowstone, fly into Spokane, rent an RV and drive over. Spend the time there, not getting there.

Back
Top Bottom