• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Think before you bubba

Billrube

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
128   0
Reaction score
Your gun is your gun and these old milsurps are cheap to tinker with.

But do you how much the gun is worth? If you could care less about what your gun is worth prior to taking the chopsaw and grinder to it, stop reading now.

I am not trying to convince anybody of anything, just to provoke some educational thought.

Let's take a Mosin 91/30. You get one for $100 out of a crate at a show or shop. You take it home and before you actually find out what you have or shoot it, you grab the hacksaw start your improvements. You get the bent-bolt kit and drill it and tap it for scope and put it in a black plastic after market stock on it and man, it's the Deer Slayer now.

You find out sometime after the fact that it was a WW2 sniper rifle that had been refurbished after WW2. You also find out that had you left it alone, it would be worth significantly more than your asking price for the "deer slayer".

A lot of guys don't know much about these and I understand. But google is your friend. It does not take long to establish a good ballpark on value.

I don't "do" commercial guns. I only traded $200 1873 colt for a Wilson Combat 1911. I got the gun from uncles drunk grampa for $200. So, it's $200 gun to me.
I've always wanted a 1911 with a ported slide. So if I took my Wilson Combat 1911 and ported the slide with my black and decker portable drill, some ODT'rs out there would crap in their pants. Because they were so jealous of my improvements? No...cause I just "ruined" the value of a high end pistol.

For the most part, Guns of any kind, like antique furniture or classic cars, are worth more in their original configuration and condition than after "improvements".

I have a soft spot for the old military stuff due to the history it represents. Many don't care.

"It's my gun I'll do what I want to with it." If this is you, I can't argue with that--you are right and you can do want you want--it's yours.

This is more directed towards the guys and gals that don't really know what they've got. After you cut one up and sink money into it doing all of your improvements just don't be too disappointed if you don't get your asking price for your gun.

Using my Wilson Combat analogy above--I'm going to find out what I have and what it's actually worth before "improving" it with porting. It may actually be worth more than the $200 I've "got" in it.

I'm of the new school of Bubba Hate. That is, I hate to see stippled and hydro-imaged Glocks. Mosins, Hi-Points, and other ~$100 guns, though.. Eh, whatever.

Yea but Glocks are a dime a dozen and have no historical significance.

I said this to illustrate a point, I don't like any cutting up/chopping/improving any weapons in a permanent fashion.
But each person has their own "level" at which they consider chop shop home smithery to be a no-no. As long as it's a $100 gun to some people, they don't care. If it's not a 1911 some people dont care. If it's not a Browning, some people don't care.

Last edited:
I'm of the new school of Bubba Hate. That is, I hate to see stippled and hydro-imaged Glocks. Mosins, Hi-Points, and other ~$100 guns, though.. Eh, whatever.

This is what I was thinking; a $100 gun for someone to play around with doesn't really matter much to me. A poorly refinished Smith Wheel gun, A stippled frame reduced polymer pistol or a nice old blue steel/walnut stocked rifle "customized" is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I could be wrong. My Dad picked up a Remington Rand 1911 back in the day when they were selling for like $40 at surplus stores. Some guys took them and "built them up" for competition. If they only knew what they had done did.

Back
Top Bottom