• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressed 10/22

Some day I'd like a 96/22. I've got a 96/44 that I need to get threaded. I need to call APA and see if they are currently open/accepting work and could do it. I had talked to Mark at AO but they have closed down.

the short stroke of the 96 models would be really fun in a 22lr. and quiet!

No need for fancy, and especially 2 piece, buffers. Go to Home Depot and buy some long 1/4" nylon bolts, cut the head and threads off and you will have enough material left to cut 2 buffers from. Very cheap, and they work just fine. Two bolts per package, yields 4 buffers for less than a buck each.
==================================
suppressed 10/22, the weapon of choice for Israeli snipers.

Because:

1. The Kidd bolt buffer is a proven design, with a metal support center. This has proven to be much more durable over extended use than the solid nylon bolt buffers. There’s a reason most companies that sell the solid nylon ones offer them in 3 packs; they break.
2. With shipping, it cost me about $7. With the current unpleasantness, it’s not worth my time to drive to HD, deal with the mass hysteria and ‘tards that don’t know how to take simple personal safety precautions, to save $7.

The fact that Israeli Snipers used suppressed Ruger 10/22’s is a bit misleading. They didn’t use it for intended “kill shots”; they wrongly designated it originally as a “less lethal” weapon. Most of the time it was used, it wasn’t used by a trained Sniper, which contributed to its misuse.

In 1987, the Intifada – the Palestinian uprising against the Israeli regime in the Occupied Territories – broke out, and involved mass violent clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinians protestors. As a result, the Israeli security forces needed a weapon with a more potent firepower then the standard riot control metal covered rubber round, but at the same time less lethal then the standard issue 5.56mm round of the M16/Galil assault rifles. So the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) searched for a .22 caliber accurate rifle that would be used to take out the key protest leaders by shooting them in the legs.

The Ruger 10/22, fitted with a X4 day optic, a full length suppressor and a Harris bipod was selected for this role and was due to be issued to all infantry oriented units, including both special and conventional forces. However, as often happens in the shoestring budget IDF, financial problems prevented the weapon’s mass distribution, and it was mainly issued to Special Forces (SF) units. Moreover, instead of using the rifle as a riot control weapon, as originally intended, the Israeli SF deployed the Ruger 10/22 more as a “Hush Puppy” weapon used to silently and effectively eliminate disturbing dogs prior to operations.

In the recent Israeli-Palestinian clashes began in 2000, the Ruger resumed it’s original role as a less lethal riot control weapon. However, it’s usage in this role was rather controversial this time. After several incidents involving the death of Palestinians by the Ruger 10/22, the IDF conducted a field experiment on the Ruger at the IDF Sniper School in Mitkan Adam under the supervision of the IDF Judge Advocate General (JAG). The test showed that the Ruger was more lethal than thought, especially in upper body injuries. Also, since it’s suppressed and was considered less lethal by the troops, the soldiers were much more likely to use the Ruger loosely than intended.

As a result of this test, the JAG reclassified the Ruger as a lethal weapon. As a lethal weapon, the usage of the Ruger in riot control is much more limited today. In the IDF Center Command it was completely prohibited to use, and in the IDF South Command it’s deployment was cut down dramatically.

Where did you read that nonsense? I've never heard of any sniper using a .22 LR. Using a .22 is certainly no guarantee of one shot, one kill.

It’s called a hush puppy. Google will show you all you need to know.

Originally it was used for non lethal crowd control but after killing a few people they regulated it to shooting barking dogs that might give away their position.

I have a clone. Love my 2 stamp 10/22.
8B98D4F5-DC9D-44EE-96E4-710F4F15F0E0.jpeg

The fact that Israeli Snipers used suppressed Ruger 10/22’s is a bit misleading. They didn’t use it for intended “kill shots”; they wrongly designated it originally as a “less lethal” weapon. Most of the time it was used, it wasn’t used by a trained Sniper, which contributed to its misuse.

In 1987, the Intifada – the Palestinian uprising against the Israeli regime in the Occupied Territories – broke out, and involved mass violent clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinians protestors. As a result, the Israeli security forces needed a weapon with a more potent firepower then the standard riot control metal covered rubber round, but at the same time less lethal then the standard issue 5.56mm round of the M16/Galil assault rifles. So the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) searched for a .22 caliber accurate rifle that would be used to take out the key protest leaders by shooting them in the legs.

The Ruger 10/22, fitted with a X4 day optic, a full length suppressor and a Harris bipod was selected for this role and was due to be issued to all infantry oriented units, including both special and conventional forces. However, as often happens in the shoestring budget IDF, financial problems prevented the weapon’s mass distribution, and it was mainly issued to Special Forces (SF) units. Moreover, instead of using the rifle as a riot control weapon, as originally intended, the Israeli SF deployed the Ruger 10/22 more as a “Hush Puppy” weapon used to silently and effectively eliminate disturbing dogs prior to operations.

In the recent Israeli-Palestinian clashes began in 2000, the Ruger resumed it’s original role as a less lethal riot control weapon. However, it’s usage in this role was rather controversial this time. After several incidents involving the death of Palestinians by the Ruger 10/22, the IDF conducted a field experiment on the Ruger at the IDF Sniper School in Mitkan Adam under the supervision of the IDF Judge Advocate General (JAG). The test showed that the Ruger was more lethal than thought, especially in upper body injuries. Also, since it’s suppressed and was considered less lethal by the troops, the soldiers were much more likely to use the Ruger loosely than intended.

As a result of this test, the JAG reclassified the Ruger as a lethal weapon. As a lethal weapon, the usage of the Ruger in riot control is much more limited today. In the IDF Center Command it was completely prohibited to use, and in the IDF South Command it’s deployment was cut down dramatically.

It’s called a hush puppy. Google will show you all you need to know.

Originally it was used for non lethal crowd control but after killing a few people they regulated it to shooting barking dogs that might give away their position.

I have a clone. Love my 2 stamp 10/22.
View attachment 2570714
Cool... thanks for the clarification. Now I want one!

Some day I'd like a 96/22. I've got a 96/44 that I need to get threaded. I need to call APA and see if they are currently open/accepting work and could do it. I had talked to Mark at AO but they have closed down.

the short stroke of the 96 models would be really fun in a 22lr. and quiet!

The 96/22 is at the top of my list for a suppressed .22LR rifle. Second option is a Browning T-Bolt. I like the Steyr Scout RFR overall, but dislike the 20” barrel. It’s an option, though, that I can cut down and thread, which is what I would have to do anyways with the 96/22 or T-Bolt.

Back
Top Bottom