• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stories about Dad...

BillMe45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
What are some stories about your dad? Any stories are welcome but really thinking about outdoors, hunting, fishing and shooting stories.

As far as I can tell my dad didn't own a handgun for most of my childhood. I know that he gave up a lot of money to come off of working on the road and got a job close to home after the kids were born. So when I was around 11 or 12 and dad said we were going out to buy a handgun I thought it was great but I knew nothing about it.

We found ourselves down at Franklin's in Athens and that man walked out of there with what even to this day is the most beautiful revolver ever made. A Smith and Wesson 44mag "Backpacker". I remember there being a range just down the road from Franklin's but dont remember the name of it. He took me in there with a couple of boxes of full power defensive loads and I cut my teeth on that man sized hunk of steel. After a few cylinder's full I couldnt keep it on paper anymore because I was shaking so bad but it was probably the most fun I've ever had with a gun (and I've had a lot of fun since then).

I can thank/blame my dad for my obsession with big bore handguns and rifles... but most importantly I thank him for being there, teaching me to shoot, and just being dad.

Happy Fathers Day Dad

VVV The gun that started it all, except his had the wood combat grips VVV
www.budsgunshop.com_catalog_images_411545424.jpg

My dad was a weekend dad, him an my mom couldn't get along so they split when I was 3, but he gave me my first gun ever, my 7th birthday he and I went to the Walmart in Stockbridge an he bought me a marlin model 60 SS with case and 550 rounds, on the way home we stopped at one of his buddies house and got the biggest piece of tree truck they could lift an when we got to his house we rolled it off for our target, he got his revalation bolt action 22 and I had my new shiny marlin and we shot till dark, and the rest is history! I've got my step son into it just like I was/am now I'm waiting on my youngest, he's 2 yesterday so we don't have too much longer

Yeah my dad wasn't doing his job in the early 70s and his bike building buddy snaked his wife out from under him. So then I had to live with that dick head for about 15 more years. Along the way dad married THE ugliest skank in Lizella who hates me because she knew he still loved my mom. Oh and I should mention he never paid a dime of his court ordered child support. Then he got mad because step dick adopted me and changed my last name. But he didn't do anything to stop it.

Meanwhile he smoked Reds for decades before switching to Lights and drank Budweiser every day. He was a chronic bull****ter who told the same old stories over and over and they were different every time. He was living in his own mind for years. We didn't speak at all after 07 . He died in 13 and the only reason I knew about it was from seeing the obit in the paper. He was 62 or 63. His mother and father in law were at his wake. He looked 93 later out in that box. A predictable end to a pathetic story.

Last edited:
Christmas, when I was 13 years old I had been asking for a .22 rifle for months. My dad had been without work for several months and really had no way to purchase the rifle (made very little money even when he was working) and with three younger sisters to provide for there was really no hope of me getting what I wanted. On christmas morning I opened my present and found a used .22 rifle. At the time I had no idea what my dad had sacrificed to get that rifle for me and before I got out of high school I sold it.

I think about that all of the time, one of the biggest regrets in my life, that old cheap Marlin .22 stood for everything that I would later strive to do for my wife and boys. My dad was the epitome of what I try to be as a father, loving, caring, patient, direct, and most of all...he was willing to put others before himself, always. Miss him every day.....

My grandfather was twice (at least) the man of my father and stepfather put together. A Pontiac Michigan transplant to Macon way back when. People called him Archie Bunker since that's what he reminded you of. But he knew Carroll OConner was "a Commie" and hated that reference. He rode the rails during the Depression and was in Europe for WW2. He wore Florsheim side zip boots and only bought long bed F150s with the vynil covered floor so he could hose out the dried concrete and dust from the job sites. Smoked Dutchmasters and drank a Dickel a day. He would cuss you up one side and down the other. But 10 minutes later it was all over and he'd be talking normal again.
Norman A Chaput worked hard his whole life and couldn't understand why other people didn't. And the problems with this country today is that most of the folks from that generation are gone. So our kids aren't getting the benefit of knowing the Greatest Generation.

my father took us chitlins everywhere, 8 of us. Mom worked her butt off cookin and stuff so Dad was the one who gave her, her time off. He loved the outdoors ,but was funny when it came to hunting. He was a better beagle than a shooter. Only man I know that shot at the same deer 3 times with a muzzle loader and had it stay laying down. He could not mechanically get the idea that the powder flask lever had to be closed before you turned it back up. The whole time growing up he would never let us clean the game we shot. he was a doctor and loved to dissect the game as he field dressed it, Only after he passed away when I was 21 did I ever get to dress my first deer. it was eye opener ,my brother and I kind of looked at each other afterwards cause he always came running after we shot with knife open ready to clean...lol. Dads are special. I wish he could see his Grandson and straighten him out a little.Best wishes and happy memories to all the Fathers out there.

Last edited:
My daddy always strived for us to have it better than he did coming up. He went in army at 17 and wound up in France during ww-ll where he was corporal in mps. He sent money home to help his family at home. I remember how he scaped the money together for my first car when I was fifteen. He bought me a 66 ford fair lane gt with 390 engine and 4 speed tranny. He didn't believe in borrowing so I don't know what kind of sacrifice s he made to buy that car. I guess he's the reason I always wanted my family to be well provided for. I lost him when I was 19 which has been 40 years ago. I think about him often and the things he did for me as I was coming up.

Back
Top Bottom