• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

So will it be manslaughter for Alec Baldwin?

How could that happen without the gun exploding in the shooter's hand? I could definitely be wrong but it has always been my understanding that blank firing prop guns have barrels that are almost completely blocked/ plugged. That's the only way to have enough back pressure for blanks to cycle semi or full auto actions.
But again I could easily be wrong and don't claim any first hand knowledge or experience.
The movie was being shot in the 1880's era so probably a single action 6 shooter.

Can confirm. A buddy of mine is IATSE Local 44. He got an email. The real kicker is that they weren't teching the show. This is going to get ugly.

Given that it's a western, I'm going to assume that the pistol in question was chambered in .45LC. They crimp the case halfway down so all told, it's only slightly longer than a .45 ACP. A live .45LC would have visually been much longer due to having the bullet seated in the case. But only the tech loading the weapon would have known. No way the actor pulling the trigger could have known...and he would not have been allowed to inspect the gun prior to shooting. Somebody, somewhere ooopsied really hard. Man, that sucks.
So you're saying 45LC blanks are crimped brass cases that pretty much look like 22 blanks or 22 nail gun rounds?

They weren't even actors, it was a director and some type of cinematographer. Why was he firing a gun at them?
Cinematographer & Baldwin to prop guy “I want a lot of muzzle flash”

Prop guy to judge - I was told too like Westworld …“oops maybe a little too much reality with a live round, my bad”

Judge to insurance Co.- “Why has this never happened on a Eastwood, Norris, Wayne or Bronson set ? “We’re their sets possibly run with stricter safety standards, ya think ?“

Hollywood to the World - “We’re still coming for your guns because prop guns can kill people not dumbass crossing the strike line 2nd rate prop guys that you forced us to hire”.

James Brolin "I'm shot"

Here’s a 45 colt blank cartridge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 23
Count me ignorant…but, how are PROP guns designed to fire live ammunition or any type of projectile?
After what happed with Brandon Lee case? Civil court negligence tort for sure and BIG profit for some lawyers for sure.

Here’s a 45 colt blank cartridge
Okay let me get up to speed here. The pic you posted showed a crimped blank case that had been fired. Am I right in assuming that since it was crimped at the end then there was no wad or any kind of plug holding the powder in the case? So if a crimped case was used then what aside from burning black powder would have hit the two studio people?

Count me ignorant…but, how are PROP guns designed to fire live ammunition or any type of projectile?
After what happed with Brandon Lee case? Civil court negligence tort for sure and BIG profit for some lawyers for sure.
That's what I'm asking. It just seems logical to ME that prop guns would have like a shallower chamber or even a reduced diameter to prevent live ammo from being loaded/chambered at all. I say that because think of how dangerous a live round in a prop gun could be just for the person holding it.

Okay let me get up to speed here. The pic you posted showed a crimped blank case that had been fired. Am I right in assuming that since it was crimped at the end then there was no wad or any kind of plug holding the powder in the case? So if a crimped case was used then what aside from burning black powder would have hit the two studio people?
It was a live round. Not a blank. It had a bullet in it.

Back
Top Bottom