• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snake boots.... Are they a necessary evil???

I wear mine a lot during deer season.I dont wear my hunting clothes or shoes out and about during any other time.

You don't suppose those leather snakes boots had something under the cow hide do ya?
I'm no expert and know nothing about it other than, I'm not trusting my life with regular boots just to save a few dollars. If heavy duty leather would work just as well, I don't think people would pay extra for snake boots..

When I was in the Military, a guy in my unit got bitten right through his leather combat boot. The snake was only a foot and a half long. A five foot rattler wouldn't even be slowed down by standard leather hunting boots.

They are good if you only wear them every now ,and then ,but for someone who is in swamps ,and very snaky spots all day they get old real quick .

It depends on the fit of the boot. The most comfortable hunting boots I have are my snake boot. Of course, I went through about six sets of them before I found these.

When I was in the Military, a guy in my unit got bitten right through his leather combat boot. The snake was only a foot and a half long. A five foot rattler wouldn't even be slowed down by standard leather hunting boots.

That's what I'm saying. No way I would not wear my snake boots. I need to find some rubber insulated snake boots for cold weather...

They are good if you only wear them every now ,and then ,but for someone who is in swamps ,and very snaky spots all day they get old real quick .

X2
Spent the better part of my life in jungle, swamps and various woods etc and simply never felt the need. If your walking in and sitting one day, that's one thing but if your moving all day, everyday they just are not worth it. I will say, there have been a few times far away from anything the thought of having them was front and center in my mind. :)

Only guy I knew that was bitten and died was climbing a cliff and reached up and grabbed a outcropping that had a highly venomous snake (can't remember which kind) he died before during medivac.

Guys I really appreciate the indulgence of just one more post for a new to GA hunter.

Spent A LOT of time back country in OR, and outside of a few problem areas, it was just too cold for big/dangerous snakes.

Going with a friend on a scouting trip, and it floored me when I got asked if had snake boots. Had never even considered them. Went on 2 different hunts last year and it didn't even come up.

I'm not stupid so I know that the risks are certainly higher now than say November, but on a scale of 1-10, how necessary are they in general in GA and are there any particular conditions that make it more of an issue?

I am a notoriously cheap bastard so the thought of dropping $150 for a pair of Rocky boots leaves me cringing.

It's a lot easier to pursue game when you're not having to watch where you step.
That being said, I don't usually wear them, but I do own a pair.

I feel pretty safe just wearing my Muck Woody Sports.

Back
Top Bottom