• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snake boots.... Are they a necessary evil???

Delete

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
Guys I really appreciate the indulgence of just one more post for a new to GA hunter.

Spent A LOT of time back country in OR, and outside of a few problem areas, it was just too cold for big/dangerous snakes.

Going with a friend on a scouting trip, and it floored me when I got asked if had snake boots. Had never even considered them. Went on 2 different hunts last year and it didn't even come up.

I'm not stupid so I know that the risks are certainly higher now than say November, but on a scale of 1-10, how necessary are they in general in GA and are there any particular conditions that make it more of an issue?

I am a notoriously cheap bastard so the thought of dropping $150 for a pair of Rocky boots leaves me cringing.

To me yes necessary evil. But only south of the nag line really. Use them up in north ga only in warm parts of the year and when the territory is snakey.
Hunt with folks who don't think so and I have to follow my experience.
I am the cheapest bastid alive
just my opinion based on experience

150.00 or a cottonmouth, or timber rattler bite ,, I spend the money and glad I did,, just make sure you buy good boots that are comfortable

image.jpgimage.jpg
30 year old Chippewa so they last
i meant the nat line. The nag line is at home.
2 pictures cause I am not good with the inter web

I'd rather have them than not need them. I killed a 4 foot timber rattler several years ago in Greene County stretched across a logging road in November after a frosty morning. I'm convinced that if folks knew how many rattlers they walked by in the woods on any given day they'd never go back. It's just part of being in the woods.

I know there are better boots made today. But I got to say those have been as good as any boot I ever had. Company is owned by justin now. You will not regret it.

Back
Top Bottom