• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkeys are tight lipped

sounds like you need to hunt out of the camper, I could get spoiled with that kind of hunting.
LOL, yea. Well you know how the women are. My dream has always been to never need to leave home to hunt.
I could now, but the neighbors might have a fit. Still a dream. However most my hunting days are behind me now

1712107045638.jpeg

My 18yo son put the smack down on his first solo bird this evening. They were quiet, so he sat down, sat still, called every 20 minutes or so, then watched 4 toms come into range completely silent and took his pick.

10-1/4” beard. He used my tripod and camera and got the birds coming in on video but they were out of frame when he made the shot. He cleaned and bagged the breasts all himself. He’s learning as a young man he can do and accomplish whatever he chooses. Very proud dad here if you can’t tell 😀

10-1/4” beard. He used my tripod and camera and got the birds coming in on video but they were out of frame when he made the shot. He cleaned and bagged the breasts all himself. He’s learning as a young man he can do and accomplish whatever he chooses. Very proud dad here if you can’t tell 😀
Congrats, I know you're proud

One of my bucket list items being a Contender fan has been to take a turkey with my Contender with a 14 inch 410/45 colt barrel. Last year called the DNR to see if it was legal to hunt birds with this set up. I got the ok to do so, carried it last year but no gobbler within range. I put out the bucks and picked up some TSS shells. Shot one at a target and figured 25 yards would work.
My brother recently moved to Brooks county and has had birds walking thru his property regularly. We set up Saturday morning and I started calling at sunrise. We heard a gobbler respond and it seemed to be heading our direction. Around 8:30 two longbeards and some jakes came in quietly. They saw my decoys and headed our way. At 20 or so yards I dropped the hammer and one of the longbeards hit the ground. Dont know what he weighed but had an 11 inch beard and inch and a quarter spurs. Can scratch that one off my list. Good times and got to spend it with my brother.

Attachments

• 100_3075.jpg
    100_3075.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 9
One of my bucket list items being a Contender fan has been to take a turkey with my Contender with a 14 inch 410/45 colt barrel. Last year called the DNR to see if it was legal to hunt birds with this set up. I got the ok to do so, carried it last year but no gobbler within range. I put out the bucks and picked up some TSS shells. Shot one at a target and figured 25 yards would work.
My brother recently moved to Brooks county and has had birds walking thru his property regularly. We set up Saturday morning and I started calling at sunrise. We heard a gobbler respond and it seemed to be heading our direction. Around 8:30 two longbeards and some jakes came in quietly. They saw my decoys and headed our way. At 20 or so yards I dropped the hammer and one of the longbeards hit the ground. Dont know what he weighed but had an 11 inch beard and inch and a quarter spurs. Can scratch that one off my list. Good times and got to spend it with my brother.
Cool!!! And congrats

Tell him congratulations for me.
That’s awesome. Congrats!
I always thought that was a killer way to get a turkey.

Back
Top Bottom