• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snake boots.... Are they a necessary evil???

I have seen several venomous snakes north of the fall line and by brother got hit by a big timber rattler (canebrake) several years ago. Venom was dripping down the back of his snake boot.

Get them and wear them in warm weather.

Bow season they are a must! I don't wear them so much during gun season after it cools down. Few years back I killed a cottonmouth and took a doe later that evening with same arrow!

I now use those HD wrap around snake chaps & just regular comfortable boots ( I prefer low cut 8" boots mostly). The leather boots are adequate for foot strikes & the chaps go up to the knee & are a lot less expensive & more comfortable than most snake boots I have worn. I have killed timber rattlers, cottonmouths & copperheads the year around anywhere from North GA mountains down to the Piedmont Region. Those critters will come out to lay in the sun even on days that start out as cold frosty mornings. Easy to step on when walking in thick brushy areas. I've never fooled around much down in South Georgia where they've got those really big Eastern Diamondbacks , but seen pix of them!

Snake boots won't help you against spiders or yellowjackets, etc. Watching where you put your hands and feet will protect you from all of them. If you do get a pair though, go Chippewa and keep them treated with Obenauf's. You'll have to have them re-soled before they wear out.

Dont buy Rocky's,they leak.I have 3 pair and the BassPro zip ups have been the best.Better to have snake boots and not need em,than to need em and not have em.

image.jpg
Tell him you don't need snake boots !!

I now use those HD wrap around snake chaps & just regular comfortable boots ( I prefer low cut 8" boots mostly). The leather boots are adequate for foot strikes & the chaps go up to the knee & are a lot less expensive & more comfortable than most snake boots I have worn. I have killed timber rattlers, cottonmouths & copperheads the year around anywhere from North GA mountains down to the Piedmont Region. Those critters will come out to lay in the sun even on days that start out as cold frosty mornings. Easy to step on when walking in thick brushy areas. I've never fooled around much down in South Georgia where they've got those really big Eastern Diamondbacks , but seen pix of them!

I gotta ask, what kinda leather do your boots have? A rattler's fangs will go right through any leather I've ever seen.

Most snake bites occur in the ankle regions.I like my snake boots,they are comfortable,But paying attention is the most important thing in the woods.I have seen and killed some of those big easterns,short as I am, they would strike above the boot anyway it seems.Bow season soon so be careful out there.

I gotta ask, what kinda leather do your boots have? A rattler's fangs will go right through any leather I've ever seen.
----> Just plain old thick cut cowhide, just like those snake boots I used to have were made of down around the toe/ankle area. I even had one pair that were heavy & uncomfortable that were full cut cowhide all the way up; and they were guareented snake proof. Buddy o' mine bought them, had them resoled & still swears by them. I've got , now, where my 8" Irish Setter work boots with thick leather & heavy knobby soles double as my stompin' around in the woods boots. I have been struck by a moccasin on the back of those snake chaps & he bounced off , just before I unleashed my 12 ga on him. Everyone has always told me any of those critters can't poke through full cut leather. Don't wanna find out, either.....

Back
Top Bottom