• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snake boots.... Are they a necessary evil???

----> Just plain old thick cut cowhide, just like those snake boots I used to have were made of down around the toe/ankle area. I even had one pair that were heavy & uncomfortable that were full cut cowhide all the way up; and they were guareented snake proof. Buddy o' mine bought them, had them resoled & still swears by them. I've got , now, where my 8" Irish Setter work boots with thick leather & heavy knobby soles double as my stompin' around in the woods boots. I have been struck by a moccasin on the back of those snake chaps & he bounced off , just before I unleashed my 12 ga on him. Everyone has always told me any of those critters can't poke through full cut leather. Don't wanna find out, either.....

You don't suppose those leather snakes boots had something under the cow hide do ya?
I'm no expert and know nothing about it other than, I'm not trusting my life with regular boots just to save a few dollars. If heavy duty leather would work just as well, I don't think people would pay extra for snake boots..

You don't suppose those leather snakes boots had something under the cow hide do ya?
I'm no expert and know nothing about it other than, I'm not trusting my life with regular boots just to save a few dollars. If heavy duty leather would work just as well, I don't think people would pay extra for snake boots..
--> Just plain old THICK cut leather for all I remember. They got pretty flexable & bendy with wrinkles just like all leather does when you wear them a lot in the mud, wading through creeks & stuff. Strangely enough I never questioned any of the folks who told me that full cut leather would stop a snake's fangs. I know NOTHING about those gigantic South Georgia & FLA Eastern diamondbacks, as I said earlier. From what I've seen , I'd want some kinda full BODY protection from those things! I know I accidently skint a toe of one of my old boots with a chain saw, a lot meaner than snake fangs, & underneath the skint place the leather was still tough & intact. Wish somebody else would chime in on this......

I had the full leather ones from some name brand company.Hotter than hell I know that.I like the ones I have now Cordura and leather.Saw a report where a guy poked a needle though one,but You are never 100% safe.I had the chaps also and they are hot and noisy

Hotter than hell I know that.-----> That ,right there is one reason I sold them, but for some reason it doesn't bother my buddy. And those Cordura chaps are still pretty warm ,too! Buy it's a trade off you need to take. It sure cools off down there when you peel them off.......haha!

--> Just plain old THICK cut leather for all I remember. They got pretty flexable & bendy with wrinkles just like all leather does when you wear them a lot in the mud, wading through creeks & stuff. Strangely enough I never questioned any of the folks who told me that full cut leather would stop a snake's fangs. I know NOTHING about those gigantic South Georgia & FLA Eastern diamondbacks, as I said earlier. From what I've seen , I'd want some kinda full BODY protection from those things! I know I accidently skint a toe of one of my old boots with a chain saw, a lot meaner than snake fangs, & underneath the skint place the leather was still tough & intact. Wish somebody else would chime in on this......
the only thing that would concern me is the fangs are like a super pumped up hypodermic needle. If a needle goes through a cows hide for inoculation, I would bet a fang will go through it.

Heck we can get several different boots and I can get some hypodermic needles and test em out if anyone wants..

Yep I use Danners, and I mainly wear them until the cold kills back the undergrowth, and I can see where I am walking. But as others have mentioned snakes are out year round in every part of GA.

If I were in the market now, I would be looking for rubber snake boots for scent control (anything but Rockys) and/or snake chaps. The Danners I have are very comfortable, but they get hot.

the only thing that would concern me is the fangs are like a super pumped up hypodermic needle. If a needle goes through a cows hide for inoculation, I would bet a fang will go through it.

Heck we can get several different boots and I can get some hypodermic needles and test em out if anyone wants..
------> Just found this---->http://www.venomousreptiles.org/forums/Experts/42291----> Heck! It appears that even the "experts" are NOT 100% sure on any of this! ???? I will continue to wear chaps, heavy leather boots when needed & as always keep a sharp eye. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT AT TLEAST ONE MEDIUM SIZE WATER MOCC BOUNCED OFF MY CHAPS A FEW YEARS AGO, AS I WAS PUSHING THROUGH SOME REALLY HEAVY BRUSH BESIDE A LARGE CREEK. It made a little "cracking" sound & felt like I had stepped on a dry stick that broke & flipped up on my leg. My Nephew, about 10' behind me saw it, pointed the direction it went, & I turned loose my 12ga on it. Happened too quick to be scary, until later. Up until then, I was only sporadic about wearing that hot stuff. NOW, if I'm gonna be in those kinda places, where you really can't see all that good, or even doing some casual stomping around in the woods, I put them on 100% of the time.

------> Just found this---->http://www.venomousreptiles.org/forums/Experts/42291----> Heck! It appears that even the "experts" are NOT 100% sure on any of this! ???? I will continue to wear chaps, heavy leather boots when needed & as always keep a sharp eye. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE THAT AT TLEAST ONE MEDIUM SIZE WATER MOCC BOUNCED OFF MY CHAPS A FEW YEARS AGO, AS I WAS PUSHING THROUGH SOME REALLY HEAVY BRUSH BESIDE A LARGE CREEK. It made a little "cracking" sound & felt like I had stepped on a dry stick that broke & flipped up on my leg. My Nephew, about 10' behind me saw it, pointed the direction it went, & I turned loose my 12ga on it. Happened too quick to be scary, until later. Up until then, I was only sporadic about wearing that hot stuff. NOW, if I'm gonna be in those kinda places, where you really can't see all that good, or even doing some casual stomping around in the woods, I put them on 100% of the time.
I think (not worth much) that you're going in the right direction. Most bites occur between the ankle and knee so you're probably good.

What others have said. It's piece of mind. I don't have to constantly worry about where I'm stepping. I have Rocky's and Redhead's. Both brands tend to leak after a few years. The side zips are the best. Much easier on and off. I wear mine until it gets cold enough for my toes to get cold.

Back
Top Bottom