• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Smoking a Brisket

Yea, I'm experimenting with different lump coal brands. It seems to differ quite a bit between brands. From by experience(very little) the BGE lump coal and kingsford burn very long and hot. I switched to Mesquite wood mixed with Apple & Walnut. I soak it for about 45 min to an hr and it burns long and strong

I've tried a number of them and have probably used Cowboy brand the most. Usually because I caught it on sale or it was all I could find. 4-5 years ago, you would find a lot of rocks and debris in it, as well as planks and lots of small pieces (not good for smoking - burns too fast & blocks up the bottom grate in my Bubba Keg). The last bag, though, has lots of big chunks and no rocks or planks. Better quality & burns hotter than the Cowboy I've bought in the past.

I've had really good luck with Publix brand (Greenwise), too. Big chunks & a hot fire. Just found Kingsford at my Home Depot last week, so anxious to try it!

I've also found that soaking wood chunks (Apple, hickory, pecan) in water doesn't help much when I smoke on my Keg (very similar to a Green Egg). It just makes it harder to regulate my temps and it cools the fire. If your smoker is pretty airtight and you can keep your temps down around 200-250, the wood just smolders/smokes without the water.

This doesn't apply to an electric or natural gas smoker...they probably need the wood chips soaked in order to produce smoke & prevent flare ups.

Back
Top Bottom