• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Smoking a Brisket

I have to admit, I just got a smoker and have only run a few things through it. I did a butt and a shoulder and I thought for SURE I had ruined them both times, by letting the heat run too much and cooking them too fast. I don't know how or why but neither one could have been more juicey. Put the shoulder in last week before church and just turned it on and left. It ran close to 300 for hours before I saw it. I figured, great, that's a charcoal brick. It was aboslutely PERFECT. No idea, dumb luck or whatever but I'm not complaining.
Yea, I'm experimenting with different lump coal brands. It seems to differ quite a bit between brands. From by experience(very little) the BGE lump coal and kingsford burn very long and hot. I switched to Mesquite wood mixed with Apple & Walnut. I soak it for about 45 min to an hr and it burns long and strong

For me, the most important step to smoking is brining.
Yep! For my pork, I've been doing a water, kosher salt, brown sugar, minced garlic, diced onion and mixture of seasoning for 18-24hrs before applying the dry rub. I didnt brine the Brisket or Lamb though, and only did a dry rub.

Yea, I'm experimenting with different lump coal brands. It seems to differ quite a bit between brands. From by experience(very little) the BGE lump coal and kingsford burn very long and hot. I switched to Mesquite wood mixed with Apple & Walnut. I soak it for about 45 min to an hr and it burns long and strong
I cheat, mine's electric. The thermostat isn't digital so I do need to watch it at first until it gets to the right temp. But once it's there, fuggitaboutit.

Back
Top Bottom